Do I need any specific license/confirmation from the website administrator to perform E2E/UI, API testing, and performance-load testing to a website?

I would like to ask if I need any specific license or any confirmation from the website administrator in order to perform some E2E tests on a website. I will use open-source test automation frameworks like Selenium, Cypress, Cucumber, Robot, etc).

Also, another subquery is if I need any specific license or any confirmation from the website administrator to do API testing with tools like Postman, Rest Assured, Soap UI, and Katalon.

Furthermore, do I need any specific license or any confirmation from the website administrator to do performance-load testing on a website (with tools like Apache JMeter, LoadNinja, etc)?

2 Likes

I assume you are talking about using someone elseโ€™s service for you to explore some test frameworks. For most cases this would be according to the User Agreement of a service, rather than an administrator. I do not know them well enough to know if you breach the agreements if you automate against them, but it is typically those that regulate what you can and cannot do. That being said e2e automation behaves like a user so it should not be breach in the Agreement by just using the service.

Also I would strongly suggest you not to do any kind of performance testing to a live service as that can quickly turn into a DDoS kind of attack, which is illegal.

There are services out there specifically for testing against 30 Days of API Testing Day 5: Publicly Available APIs to Practice API Testing which is a much better alternative than a live service.

If my assumption is wrong there are some material on the โ€œtest in productionโ€ as a concept.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @ola.sundin. I was thinking if it is okay to use JMeter just to execute 5 times in total, 5 requests each time to those demo websites https://blazedemo.com/ or https://www.saucedemo.com/ just to demonstrate how JMeter works. In any case I will not spam like 100 requests and I wonโ€™t stress the websites at all. Will that be legal and since the traffic load will be really really low will it be okay to perform just a couple of requests of demonstration purposes?

1 Like