How to test Bandersnatch

Ok, I admit to not having ā€˜watched itā€™ yet. I blame the kids.

Bandersnatch (incase you didnā€™t know!) is an interactive film available on Netflix. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - Wikipedia

Or wait, how can you watch it all? :slight_smile:

How have you found watching Bandersnatch? Iā€™m sure you had your testers hat on at some points.

Did it work well? Find any interest problems?

There are so many paths, from what I hear. How far are you taking to watching it?

Iā€™m curious to hear peopleā€™s thoughts around it from a testing perspectiveā€¦

1 Like

(some spoilers below. Watch the show. Itā€™s a fun story of 80ā€™s programming)

I spent a couple of hours watching it. There is clearly some choices which have no significant impact (such as choosing the music). Itā€™s designed to let you explore as many endings as possible as it will always prompt you to go back to a significant decision point.

I certainly didnā€™t find any bugs. Although with this show it would have been funny if there was a ā€œfunction not implementedā€ outcome.

What I havenā€™t done is start it again from scratch to confirm some choices do not matter like the early prompts to throw tea on the computer or resist killing his dad.

1 Like

I had quite a long conversation with my wife about it and how it could be tested. I suppose that as with all things it depends on how it has been implemented as I admit to not having looked to see if they have released how it is done behind the scenes. Also, it depends on whether it is implemented the same technically on every platform. This is relevant because on the kit I watched it on the load time after each decision seemed instant, there was no buffering waiting for a new video, skipping to a new part in one long stream would be different to test than loading new small videos each time you make a decision. If theyā€™ve implemented it the same for every device/platform it would be different than if theyā€™ve had to do it in specific ways to cope with intricacies of platforms. My wife initiated this conversation having remarked that a colleague couldnā€™t see why Bandersnatch would be difficult to implement. (Neither of them work in tech but I worked in TV streaming applications for a few years so knew that I would disagree with the colleague. ) She is very patient but Iā€™m sure by the end regretted bringing it up at all.

1 Like

The first thing I did was pick ā€œNoā€ for understanding how the controls worked twice. It just started anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

There is pretty much ā€œone choiceā€ screens as you progress through the different scenarii. I find this annoying.
If there is only one option, why would you put a choice screen?

Is it bad that my first thought was ā€œIs it frumious?ā€ followed by ā€œHow do I check for frumiosity?ā€

1 Like

I reckon the ā€˜not seeing the instructions twiceā€™ behaviour could well be a feature. Suppose thatā€™s the nature of Software, itā€™s so frequently subjective. If the product owners or team or business had a reason for it behaving that way they could have designed and even spent effort making it specially do that.

Iā€™ve not watched it, but having grown up in the 1980s playing Spectrum games my first thought was ā€œOkay, so Bandersnatch has finally been delivered, only 34 years lateā€¦ā€ - I still remember all the hype Imagine Software put about in the press at the time about how brilliant their new games were going to be, and how little was actually delivered.

Worked my way through it a few times. At first myself and my partner tracked from key turning points in the arcs that trigger the second and third acts. Each conclusion leading you back to choose possible outcomes based on what current choices you had made to form the those final acts.
Then we worked from the beginning to the end using full flows. The whole process took about 3 hours, with the only thing not fully explored being the phone number variations.

I found it deeply satisfying to explore Will Poulterā€™s character and his role, as he was doing a spot on impression of Jeff Minterā€¦only to find that the author of the titular novel is in fact the real Jeff Minter :smiley:

1 Like

SPOILERS CONTAINED HERE!!

Watched it a few times now. I really like this movie and this type of movie! Itā€™s gripping, exciting and infuriating, but I couldnā€™t turn away from the screen. Revolutionary!

I love the underlying theme of not being in control - and that certainly felt the case with many of the selections (the controls would default on the answer you were ā€œsupposedā€ to choose, and choosing certain paths eventually took you back to ā€œresetā€ points to force you to choose the opposite selection).

I heard some people say that there are 6 endings, but Iā€™ve also read that there were other endings filmed that even some of the actors in the film havenā€™t been able to trigger through their selectionsā€¦ And I have questions about what an ā€œendingā€ means, as I feel like I got an ā€œendingā€, but then it took me back to a previous scene for me to be able to continue down a different path.

From watching it a few times, I managed to inadvertently kill 3 different people, ended up in jail twice, failed with the release of the computer game three times, but succeeded once, I also got some really silly scenes (like a mortal combat esque fight scene with the therapist)ā€¦ But for all those times of watching, I never could bring myself to choose Sugar-Puffs over Frosties. I regret not going down the Sugar-Puffs path though, as I have a feeling thereā€™s a chance it could have changed something major.

Lastly, out of a few times of getting rolling credits, only once did it also display an extra scene of being back on the bus, listening to the tape cassette, but this time with a ZX spectrum loading noiseā€¦ Apparently this noise leads to a massive easter egg online, with a secret website where you can download the game to play on an emulator!

Iā€™ve also been frustrated that I canā€™t download this movie on my device on the Netflix app (probably because it would be massive gigabytesā€¦ Or would it??). But it means that when I tried to watch it again on the train, some latency problems made it horribleā€¦ Especially when on a screen where I was asked to select an option, (I noticed that I also wasnā€™t able to pause the movie on these screens within the android Netflix app).

Anywayā€¦ Good movie!!
I was a big fan of adventure books, so this was right up my street, and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll watch it again to continue exploring and discovering more paths!

2 Likes

1 Like

Iā€™ve just seen this on Twitterā€¦

2 Likes

I donĀ“t understand the hype about this ā€œbandersnatchā€ episodeā€¦IĀ“ve seen it in computer games and books form many many years back (IĀ“m NOT too old, I have a lot of experience :slight_smile: ).

ItĀ“s nice to see the concept implemented in a TV episode, but nothing more.

About the testing questionā€¦this is an easy one. All the paths are limited in number and posibilities so there should be no problem at all.
If you want a real challenge try testing in a distributed system like Mesos (DC/OS) or Kubernetes where the number of ā€œmoving partsā€ are so great that every day a new surprise will come to your door.
Very interesting job and sometimes very very hard to test.

1 Like

Quick reddit search and /r/bandersnatch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And down the rabbit hole I go again

3 Likes

The flow diagram is very helpful I imagine the creators wanted to limit the paths and make sure all paths converged on an ending. The questions I would ask especially knowing whatā€™s occurred is using the reference to Choose your own adventure books a good idea? Netflix must be easy to sue at this point but what ways could the content put the company at risk. How risky is the pathing system built into netflix. There were significant architectural changes that had to occur to support this. How easy is this going to maintain in the long term? Does Netflix care? What ways would you ā€œtestā€ this without specifically targeting only the storyline/plot/mechanics?

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming flow diagrams. But with out knowing how it was implemented hard to tell. What I have found with TVs myself is the different behaviors and limitations you get based on different devices