I remember when I first read this abstract, I thought “Is this person talking about me?” I was oddly relieved to read about another person who had such a high bar for perfection that it led them to burn out and I knew I had to hear the talk to see how this person had overcome this.
There’s a thread about “How can we help prevent burnout?” which you might find useful to explore
If you’ve got a question you’d like to ask Maryam in advance, why not ask it here?
We’ll be adding all unanswered questions from the talk to this thread so if we didn’t get to your question, don’t worry, we will find you an answer
- Laura Kopp: Did you lose the original excitement you had for Software Quality during university? How did you realize you’d lost the excitement?
- goga: How long lasted this period of time?
- Gitte: Do you think there is a cultural fear in the UK of telling others how you really are?
- Benji: just thank you !!!
- Sam: How did you found your own drive? what inspired you? any resources?
- Dan Billing: Maryam, this story is so beautiful and genuine. What are your key techniques to working with your anxieties, and being able to keep up your energy and passion?
- Vernon Richards: Hey Maryam . You don’t have to answer this question but have you talked to your family about this? It sounds like the expectation to achieveAllTheThings started early. So I wondered if you had any advice on how to broach this sensitive topic with loved ones?
- Varun: What did you do different as a manager that you didn’t get from your manager? I am new manager in a new company I want to be more be a great supportive leader
- Cassandra HL: Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. Could you share any tips on how to let go of that idea of personal perfection, when part of our job as testers is to aim for perfection? Especially when you’ve essentially been raised on the idea of overachieving. Thanks!
- Honey Chawla: There are so many in silos working with many anxiety issues inside them in the project, how to create culture where they come out of silos and be open in communication and become a team of humans and not robots?
- Adam Stewart: Not a question, but this has been amazing. Thank you for sharing it.
- Stephen Liu: How have you recalibrated, with the changes to the work/life changes we are all facing currently under lockdown?
- Dave Harlowe: Do activities where we offer support others help with anxiety and feelings of helplessness?
- Rachel Gilbert: 1. Thank you so much for your honesty and for sharing this story. resist a burnout culture on your
- Shalini: Did you ever feel judged where you are expected to be healthy and fit both physically and mentally! Not doing so is like second grade ?
- atiqah azlan: How do you overcome the overthinking and the guilt of not finding the bugs with your team?
- Deborah: How do you try and get others to understand?
- Georgia Bloyce: Thank you for sharing your story, it’s been inspiring. Sounds like your new calibration is really healthy. Do you have more examples of how you apply this philosophy at work day-to-day (either managing or testing)?
- Mike Mc: As a manager, how do you let your experience shape your managing/leading/guiding?
- Woutske Hartholt: Wow, thank you very much for sharing your story! In the beginning of your story you said that you faced a lot of stress as you take a lot of responsibility to deliver good quality software. I recognise this as well. However, as you indicated, quality should be a team effort, not a personal effort by a single team member. Do you have any experience/advice on how we can make the responsibility a team effort?
- Paul Marlow: I’ve done the walking away from a job that caused undue stress and anxiety before. What drives us to make this massive life change do you think?
- Karlo Smid: Does having cats helps? If yes, how they help?
- Ajay: Maryam , in your low time did you ever felt you selected a wrong field?
- DefectHunter: Do you follow your hobbies now?
- Christian Dabnor: Isn’t worrying kind of a habit that comes with our chosen career? How do you mitigate that?
- João Proença: Thank you Maryam. Amazing talk. I too had to deal with burnout in the past and the first thing a doctor did when I reached for help was perscribe me with medication. I didn’t take it, it didn’t make sense to me. What really worked for me was therapy and it was a long process. Do you believe that in your case it was medication + therapy that made a difference or was one of the two more important?
- Emna Ayadi: What to manage many tasks at once(work or not work related) without having burnout?
- alt (Guna): Thank you for not ignoring your health anymore and are more careful with keeping yourself self. The journey out of the darkness takes year. How often do you reflect on the progress you are making now compared to your lowest? Have you tried to send yourself a letter of hopes for the 3/6/12 months?
- Lilla: As a manager how can you help others to prevent this in your daily work? (thanks for the talk)
- Carolyn Newham: Do you think we became testers because we are perfectionists and so that’s how we approach our work?
- Imma: How to give support to co-workers? (I am not asking how to ask for support)