Introduce yourself

Hello everybody!

I’m Christian, I wanted to do a career shift from BPO industry to IT industry, I’ve always wanted to try Software testing/QA testing ever since I graduated Computer Engineering and IT. I want to learn the basics for now and from there build up my skills. As of now, I’m kinda lost on where should I begin as there’s a lot of things in the Testing field, I don’t know where to start.

Many thanks.

4 Likes

Hi @batsy nice to have you hear, you can start with this intro course - it’s free:

Here is also an article that will give you an idea of what you need to get started:

If you face any dilemmas, or have questions, want to discuss something, just post it here in the club!

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m just getting interested in testing after recently reinventing myself- moving a career in wine to software.

A few months ago, after joining a support engineering team for a small software company, there was an opportunity get exposure to QA by participating in final release testing. That piqued my interest and hopefully set me on a path for an exciting career to come.

In search of more context, the QA Lead became a podcast binge, and Ministry of Testing has been frequently mentioned by guests of the show.

So here I am, eager to explore, learn, and join what seems like an amazing community.

Writing, both technical and non-technical, have been a long passion of mine. As I lurk amongst the FOSS community, one thing that seems to be a repeated theme is the need for good documentation. Given my love of writing and desire to be involved in FOSS projects, I would really like to understand documentation better in the early part of this journey.

Finally, is there an app for the boards? I’ll take the courses on my computer, I’m sure, but like communicating on mobile. The UX so far for just posting this first message has been a little frustrating.

4 Likes

Welcome @jaydub
I was going to make a cheese related joke there, but I failed to source one. Wow that sounds like quite a journey you have made. Open source and communities in general are probably the messy side of software engineering on the main. Every job will be different and we wish you the best of luck as you keep inventing. Hope you will stay with us and encourage others also starting this journey.

4 Likes

Hello ny name is Rama, I am now a student at a university, I want to learn software testing because it is very interesting and has a very large job prospect.
Nice to meet you all :pray:

6 Likes

Welcome to the community, @dhanssss. :wave:t2: :grinning:

Feel free to browse/search and ask any question if you like, in the Questions category.

If you’re open to sharing here, what are you studying?

3 Likes

HI thanks for the welcome.

I am new to testing and just starting out from scratch. I say scratch in the sense that I have no formal experience. Having looked into researched as much as I have so far I feel that the skills that I have gained in previous employment would be a good fit.

I have had to pivot my career quite suddenly too potentially work remotely and after researching and discussions with a good friend in the industry (Dev Opps).

I was directed here by recommendation and I am glad I was as I had no idea on what to do or even were to start as I lack the technical knowledge needed.

I have found 30 Things Every New Software Tester Should Learn @heather_reid a great article which lead me down a very deep rabbit hole.

Thank you

4 Likes

Hi @dazzler4315.

Congrats on making your way here and introducing yourself. It’s very much appreciated!

Welcome to the community. :smile: :wave:t2:

And glad you discovered Heather’s excellent article. It really is full of gold and understandably leads to many rabbit holes.

If ever you need support or help feel free to use a keyword search/browse on the Club or on the Ministry of Testing platform. Posting a question in the questions category is often a great way to learn from others. There are plenty of folks willing to help.

See you around.

2 Likes

HI Simon,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. It is very much appreciated and a very nice touch in making me feel welcome. I have no doubt that I will need the support, help and guidance of the community, as we all need to start somewhere as they say!

Again thank you and enjoy your day.

Darren

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I have been working in administration field for almost 10 years but in 2018 I got a chance to internal transfer into the tech field as Application Support and that inspire me to continue the journey in Teach field.

However, I just got an opportunity for career shift as Junior QA starting 1 July 2022 and still didn’t have much confident on this new journey.

Many thanks to made this community of knowledge sharing.

4 Likes

Hi there, welcome onto the Ministry of Test online community @kayric. Do take some time to tell us more about yourself and your journey into Software quality. And mostly hope that you will feel welcome and encouraged to ask even those silly questions here.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Marcel currently doing my A-Level exams, and am looking forward to stepping into the world of software in order to learn more, and I am hoping to get an apprenticeship in software testing.

4 Likes

Hi @marcel4 welcome to the coolest Software Quality Community in the Milky Way spiral arm Galaxy.
We hope you will enjoy learning about software quality here. I have to ask what is it about Software quality that attracts you, since it’s not a typically secondary education focus, and why not software engineering which is? Stay cozy and inquisitive. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Daniyal Khan, and I would like to become a software tester. In this course, I am excited to learn about how teams make software and how we test software.

4 Likes

Hello! thank you for the invitation I’m really excited to be here! My name is Arianna and I can’t wait to begin this journey.
I’m pretty new with software testing, I have done some testing but for games but I would love to learn more about testing software.
I’m exciting to help develop and perfecting new software for the future generations.
Thank you again and I can’t wait to start!

4 Likes

Hi, looking forward to starting this course

4 Likes

Greetings,
I’ve always taken an interest in software development however have only fairly recently decided to delve deeper and have discovered the world of testing. I would love to learn more about this discipline and hopefully be able to build a career within it.

4 Likes

Hi, @ibby welcome to the community, make yourself at home :smiley:

If you already have development knowledge, you might find test automation to be very interesting. But I’d still go over our materials on manual testing. There are good courses here, some are free. And for free courses on test automation, you can check TAU.

3 Likes

Hello I am Abi Ajay. Thanks for your warm welcome @mwinteringham , I am looking forward to learning about testing with you guys.

3 Likes

Hello all, my name is Lucy and I am hoping to start an apprenticeship in testing! After A levels, I spent a few years working in retail trying to figure out what to do with my future, so I am very looking forward to learning new skills and working towards a new career!

2 Likes