Last night (23rd October 2019) we held a retrospective with the attendees on what they wanted to see from us in 2020. We used a heaven and hell and lean coffee exercises with a couple of groups.
Looking at both sessions below there are a lot of cross overs between the two groups.
- Having a wide range of content subjects including technical, security and tools seems to be a consensus. More hands on, interactive and workshop type sessions would be welcome. Talks on overcoming challenges or providing inspiration were high up on peoples likes.
- We need to do more to promote and publicise our meetup. Through engaging other groups and organisations. Maybe in different mediums such as a website with mailing list.
- It would be nice to have recordings or webinars. Issues here are cost and quality and if these would have a detrimental effect on attendance.
The topics for discussion from the lean coffee group were (those discussed with their votes for discussion);
- Content 4
- Webinars / Recordings 3
- Publicity 3
- Hack a kettle
Others very briefly discussed were Timings, Diversity and Inclusion, Beer and audience participation.
- They liked the wide range of topics we have presented and wanted that to continue
- Wanted more technical content including automation, CI/CD, Penetration Testing
- Practical experience, failure stories and overcoming them, experience reports
- Business engagement and communication, how to involve the wider business
- Lighting talks session
- Poetry Slam (no that wasn’t my idea! but I like it) Creativity in the craft
- Send out to more than Meetup, highlight other channels for information
- Have a web page or similar for people to follow
- Reach out to other meetings to share talks, ideas and publicity
- Reach out to universities, organisations and businesses to publicise
- Think about seasonal influences, holidays, events, themes
Hack a Kettle
- Penetration testing, InfoSec, Security based talks, workshops or sessions
- Lock picking workshop
- How to shift security left
- Things testers can do
Heaven and Hell session
- Need to promote more / better
- Yearly rewards
- Inspiring stories
- Failure learnings
- Tool offs (too comparison)
- Surgery / Workshops
- Battle of topics
- On trend
- How testing fits in
- Career in testing