MoT Testing Topics - I need your help organisers!

(Mark Winteringham) #1

Hi all,

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Mark the newly appointed DojoBoss at MoT. My focus is on curating content for the Dojo to give our community the opportunity to learn more about Software testing and basically become more awesome. Part of achieving this goal is identifying topics that we need content on around Software Testing and engaging with the community to co-create it.

In the upcoming weeks, we will be announcing a new initiative where we will be setting quarterly themes or topics for the content we output. The process will look something like this:

1. Based on observations around the testing community we will identify a shortlist of topics
  2. We will then let the community vote on the shortlist to choose a single topic
  3. With the topic selected, we will then draft up a content plan to source and create content around the topic
  4. When the topic’s quarter arrives, we begin to release the content around said topic and encourage discussion around it

We will be setting a different topic each quarter, with hopefully a 6 month lead time for planning and producing articles, videos, webinars, podcasts, etc.

This is where all you awesome organisers can help. As we plan and release articles, videos, webinars, podcasts, activities, etc. via the MoT site, we would love to see our Meetup organisers offer local talks, in person activities and other events around the same topic to help take the discussion to another level.

Imagine all our Meetups sharing talks, doing activities and generally having conversations around the same topic at the same time. It would be a global conversation about software testing across our awesome community. How cool would that be!!!

On a more practical note, the topics would be selected well in advance (ideally 6 months) to help everyone plan around the topic. So you would have plenty of time to source and coach speakers, design activities and generally explore ways to talk about future topics.

At the moment I am still in the process of putting this all together so I welcome all questions and feedback and I will be in touch soon with the first topic. Exciting.

Thanks,
Mark

(Emna Ayadi) #2

Hi @mwinteringham,

I really like your idea it’s like a group challenge from all organizers to achieve better discussions about testing in the dojo so that we can improve and learn from each other !

“Power comes not from knowledge kept but from knowledge shared.” --Bill Gates

Kind regards,
Emna

(Ady Stokes) #4

This sounds awesome to tie in meetups with current content and discussions! Great idea!

As someone who helps run the Leeds meetup it would be useful to understand the types of content, not necessarily the detail, in advance and the order of release so that we understand what topics within a subject are most suitable to have talks about / discuss etc. We hold monthly meetings towards the end of the month so advertising our events in a, ‘following on from the latest content on X…’ would be a great tie in.

Can’t wait to hear more.

(craig) #5

Were actually trying something like this already between the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle meetups.

I asked Alan page if he would do a Webinar on the Modern Principles in May and he kindly agreed. As its a Webinar we can extend it to others, as a Proof of Concept i asked the Glasgow and Newcastle meetup organisers if they wanted to join with us.

So in April were all running the same content - Round table discussions on what the modern testing principles are, this is to help the May meetup as people will have the context of what Alan is proposing.

In May the Crowdcast tool will broadcast to all three locations, after Alan’s initial talk we will then run a hosted Q&A.

Also as its on the MOT Crowdcast Alan has also agreed it can be added to the Dojo.

If this model works we can extend it wider to allow us all to access speakers that are not in our region.

(Mark Winteringham) #6

As someone who helps run the Leeds meetup it would be useful to understand the types of content, not necessarily the detail, in advance and the order of release so that we understand what topics within a subject are most suitable to have talks about / discuss etc.

So this is why I have started this thread, because I feel we should bring our heads together to work out how following the topics in Meetups might look. We will definitely be capturing activities that can be run in workplaces and meetups, but beyond that I feel we should collaborate on ideas.

The ideas that @wylie is experimenting with are a great place to start and it’s great that is being carried out before the topics come into play.

So my suggestions would be:

1. Throw ideas into this thread that we can capture somewhere and share across meetup hosts
  2. See how @wylie and the other meetups get on with the Crowdcast activity and iron out any kinks and capture that as an option.

The idea of a bunch of meetups all discussing and viewing content at the same time is very exciting. Plus Alan is awesome so it will go great :slight_smile:

(craig) #7

@mwinteringham im thinking i might need to extend the speaking time for tangents. was going to write a bit of a lessons learnt (hopefully with the Glasgow and Newcastle team) at the end…