Am using this quarantine time to do exactly this. I have stepped back from the Test>Do mindset and thought if I want to get a handle on what is current (most of my clients are using very old tech/ ways of working and only just doing some form of iterative approach) and in use in the real world.
I had/ have no ideas so these are just suggestions, I may deviate as something may take my interest:
- Environment: Cloud: Google/ AWS/ Microsoft - am dipping my toe into AWS, its free and seems easy to get started
- Infrastructure: what sits in the env: Docker/ OpenShift/ Ansible
- Security: Kubenetes in containers
- Tools/ frameworks required in the environment to allow you to perform some test types functional, manual/ service/ contract/ security
- languages: actually using and learning some languages in anger, I learn when I make mistakes and need to debug.
Where to start is difficult so am taking it a step at a time as some bits are new for me and others I am filling in gaps to understand where these fit in the real world.
Good luck with your journey as there is so much out there to look at and learn overwhelm can get the better of you, so small steps and tangible achievable goal setting could help.