Sci-Fi movies that are worth watching

This past weekend I finally got to watch ā€œWhatever Happened to Monday?ā€.

Itā€™s (obviously) sci-fi, but the premise is how a family deals with a one-child policy in the future. It shows some pretty nifty tech, and Noomi Rapace does a brilliant job.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t begin a comprehensive list (That would take 100ā€™s of films, and weeks of writing), but here are a few that some of you might not have seen.
Enemy Mine (1985) - About two enemies who are stuck in a situation where they have to work together in order to survive. The acting isnā€™t stellar, but I loved the story and the message of your enemies are also just as ā€œhumanā€ as you.
Gattaca (1997) - A movie about perseverance in the face of impossible dreams. In a future where genetics determines your fate, a man decides to shoot for the stars when his ā€œfateā€ is to be insignificant.
The Martian (2015) - Another about perseverance. This time, a man is stuck alone on mars, and has to figure out how to survive and how to get home.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to add Bird Box to the list of decent movies.
I know itā€™s a bit ā€œMarmiteā€ (you either love it or hate it), but I thought they handled the premise quite well, and kept it interesting throughout.
Yes, it has elements of other films in it (strong nod to ā€œThe Mistā€, ā€œThe Happeningā€ and a few others, but it stands on its own.

We just recently had a holiday binge of oldies but goodies. If you havenā€™t seen them, well dudes you are seriously lacking hehe

• Escape from New York - Snake Plissken is the man and what no CGI check out the models

• Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 & 1978 remake version - Interesting the change in culture and society

• Equilibrium - Christian Bale and those gun kata scenes are awesome

• Blade Runner - original

• Children of Men - that one always makes me think about what I would do

• Mad Max original - now that was something in its time and what I would give for that car :wink:

1 Like

Some good picks so far; but Iā€™m a bit old school on science fiction films. For pure spectacle, nothing beats ā€˜2001ā€™; if you can get to see it on an IMAX screen, do so! For a fifty-year-old film, you will be blown away by the visuals, which still work when blown up to seven stories high!

Of more recent films, ā€˜Arrivalā€™ is the most intelligent and thought-provoking film Iā€™ve seen in years, with interesting perspectives on language and how it affects perceptions. As an object lesson in different world-views, itā€™s hard to beat.

2 Likes

Ink (2009) - Best movie ever made!

Try it and let me know what you think!

• Minority Report
  • iRobot
  • Oblivion

I know it got panned and is not hugely sci-fi, but Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets I found enjoyable.

1 Like

Got to Add my all time old school fav.
5th Element

Most recent
Ready Player 1 - def worth a watch

wouldnā€™t be a ā€œlistā€ without Star-ship Troopers (all of them) ā€œNUKEā€™EM RICHOā€

3 Likes

+1 for 5th Element - a pleasure to watch. No guilt at all.

Enders game is pretty cool - loved the book
Looper is fun

Wild Wild West - pure guilty pleasure. Because Steampunk

Contact

Bit slow for some people but I loved it.

1 Like

EXistenZ and Dark City are my favorite.

1 Like

I could recommend soooo many, but someone above mentioned Body Snatchers and Abel Ferraraā€™s 90s version is fantastic paranoid chiller.

Also Blade Runner 2049 one of the greatest sequels ever made.

Donā€™t forget ā€˜Dark Starā€™, a mad 1970s student film that came to the attention of a producer who poured money into it. It launched the careers of John Carpenter and Dan Oā€™Bannon, and is chock-full of quotable lines.

It also has AI bombs that develop self-awareness. What could possibly go wrong? (Just donā€™t teach your AI system phenomenology.)

2 Likes

High five Scotty your right on the mark

Like your style @sheymouse I like WWW too its a hoot

1 Like

I would recommend:

Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049