Sci-Fi movies that are worth watching

(Olaf) #1

This past weekend I finally got to watch “Whatever Happened to Monday?”.

It’s (obviously) sci-fi, but the premise is how a family deals with a one-child policy in the future. It shows some pretty nifty tech, and Noomi Rapace does a brilliant job.

(Brian) #2

I couldn’t begin a comprehensive list (That would take 100’s of films, and weeks of writing), but here are a few that some of you might not have seen.
Enemy Mine (1985) - About two enemies who are stuck in a situation where they have to work together in order to survive. The acting isn’t stellar, but I loved the story and the message of your enemies are also just as “human” as you.
Gattaca (1997) - A movie about perseverance in the face of impossible dreams. In a future where genetics determines your fate, a man decides to shoot for the stars when his “fate” is to be insignificant.
The Martian (2015) - Another about perseverance. This time, a man is stuck alone on mars, and has to figure out how to survive and how to get home.

(Olaf) #3

I’d like to add Bird Box to the list of decent movies.
I know it’s a bit “Marmite” (you either love it or hate it), but I thought they handled the premise quite well, and kept it interesting throughout.
Yes, it has elements of other films in it (strong nod to “The Mist”, “The Happening” and a few others, but it stands on its own.

(Kim) #4

We just recently had a holiday binge of oldies but goodies. If you haven’t seen them, well dudes you are seriously lacking hehe

• Escape from New York - Snake Plissken is the man and what no CGI check out the models

• Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 & 1978 remake version - Interesting the change in culture and society

• Equilibrium - Christian Bale and those gun kata scenes are awesome

• Blade Runner - original

• Children of Men - that one always makes me think about what I would do

• Mad Max original - now that was something in its time and what I would give for that car :wink:

(Robert) #5

Some good picks so far; but I’m a bit old school on science fiction films. For pure spectacle, nothing beats ‘2001’; if you can get to see it on an IMAX screen, do so! For a fifty-year-old film, you will be blown away by the visuals, which still work when blown up to seven stories high!

Of more recent films, ‘Arrival’ is the most intelligent and thought-provoking film I’ve seen in years, with interesting perspectives on language and how it affects perceptions. As an object lesson in different world-views, it’s hard to beat.

(Juan) #6

Ink (2009) - Best movie ever made!

Try it and let me know what you think!

(Ben) #7
  • Minority Report
  • iRobot
  • Oblivion

I know it got panned and is not hugely sci-fi, but Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets I found enjoyable.

(Scott) #8

Got to Add my all time old school fav.
5th Element

Most recent
Ready Player 1 - def worth a watch

wouldn’t be a “list” without Star-ship Troopers (all of them) “NUKE’EM RICHO”

(Shey) #9

+1 for 5th Element - a pleasure to watch. No guilt at all.

Enders game is pretty cool - loved the book
Looper is fun

Wild Wild West - pure guilty pleasure. Because Steampunk

(Simon) #10

Contact

Bit slow for some people but I loved it.

(Fatma inan Çebin) #11

EXistenZ and Dark City are my favorite.

(Ken) #12

I could recommend soooo many, but someone above mentioned Body Snatchers and Abel Ferrara’s 90s version is fantastic paranoid chiller.

Also Blade Runner 2049 one of the greatest sequels ever made.

(Robert) #13

Don’t forget ‘Dark Star’, a mad 1970s student film that came to the attention of a producer who poured money into it. It launched the careers of John Carpenter and Dan O’Bannon, and is chock-full of quotable lines.

It also has AI bombs that develop self-awareness. What could possibly go wrong? (Just don’t teach your AI system phenomenology.)

(Kim) #14

High five Scotty your right on the mark

(Kim) #15

Like your style @sheymouse I like WWW too its a hoot