Type/Techniques of testing

Hi,

I would like to figure out what type of testing I am doing for the below example:
The scenario is to test a Haskell script(based on some input parameters) to retrive the data from the database.

Imagine the below scenario [I can’t give you the real example because is forbidden by company :)]:
-The application is runing in a web browser. Browser has 2 frames: Input and Output
-I have a haskell script(or ca be any script to be more generally).
-I add this script in one frame(input winow) and after that I press on an button named:“Excute Script” and the results(Expected Results) are returned in another frame called “Output window”

So what type of testing I am doing here based on ISTQB topics?
I am supposing that I am applying some types from Specification-Based Testing(this contain 7 seven type) but I think only 2 types is suitable here: EQP and BVA
-Validation Testing->to demonstrate that the script fulfills its intended use when placed in its intended environment
-Verification Testing->to ensure that what I am testing is according with specified requirements
-Requirements Based Tesing->here only functional tests, of course after Test Design(TC’s) was completed

What do you think, according with ISTQB, I am thinking in the right way what I included for mentioned scenario?
If there are any testing which is best suitable for it, please leave a comment :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Claudiu

I have little understanding of ISTQB, so I’m useless there, sorry. I’ll do what I can anyway.

Is there a reason you need to know what type of testing you’re doing? If not then I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Life is a miasma of misery floating over a swamp of existential despair, there’s no reason to go around adding to it voluntarily.

What you need to test depends on what it’s for. Does it need to work on multiple browsers? Multiple databases? One preset database structure or many? For all data types? Does it have to work for people with disabilities? Does it have to be always available? Does it make any money, and if so, how? Who are the users and what do they care about? What are the data used for? The questions just keep on going, and the answers should help you to shape the testing that you’re going to do.

-Validation Testing->to demonstrate that the script fulfills its intended use when placed in its intended environment

Well, what you actually did is demonstrate that the script can work in one browser at one time on one machine when used in one way on one database with one dataset with the assumption that the data you got back are going to be valid and useful and accurate for whatever you’re going to use them for. It really does depend on what it is and what it’s for and how it works.

-Verification Testing->to ensure that what I am testing is according with specified requirements

Okay, that has value, but given that these requirements are specified it means that whoever wrote the software is probably aware of them and wrote the software to do what the requirements said. What would be more interesting is to go on to test the requirements that aren’t specified, or find the limitations of the requirements and break them to see what happens.

If you’re interested in a helpful list of ideas to help you find new ways to test, or new things to think about testing, or ways in which your product might not be as good as it should, I recommend reading this: http://www.satisfice.com/tools/htsm.pdf

1 Like