What is the one word in your CV that tells recruiters you have been in the business for a long time?

How can a recruiter automatically know which ā€œgenerationā€ of testers your are from?
What is that one word in your CV that says 80s , 90s 2000?
Mine is QTP , I think :smiley:

4 Likes

In a similar response, mine is WinRunner

3 Likes

Youā€™ll likely find thatā€™s an illegal questioning tactic in many countries. Some places may not even be able to ask for 10 years experience any more as that becomes ageist.

With QTP you may need to be more specific, Mercury or HP?

Also testing a system with a Btrieve file system, not worked on one of those in a while.

2 Likes

I used both. I am that old :smiley:
I even have a better one, an older one, but it is not testing related.
I mean I used Lotus notes as a mail client.

3 Likes

Mineā€™s not testing related, either.

Itā€™s the organisation that awarded my first degree - a Polytechnic.

(For non-UK readers, polytechnics were higher education establishments that were founded with a view to offering professional and vocational qualifications, did not do original research, and were not empowered to validate their own courses and qualifications but referred back to a national standards body. They were mainly set up in the 1950s and 60s, but were converted to universities following legislative change in 1992.)

1 Like

Which raises an interesting question, A few people upthread have already alluded to avoiding age discrimination in job applications, especially as this is, at least in theory, illegal in some countries, including the UK. As ever, the problem is proving it. I for one encountered age discrimination in a job search when I was told that I didnā€™t get one job because I was ā€œnot a good cultural fitā€ for perhaps the most monocultural office Iā€™d seen in twenty years, but one where I would have clearly been the oldest person in the room (everyone else had hair, for a start off). :smiley:

But how can you avoid exposing your age when societal, technical or professional changes have made your knowledge and experience immediately reveal your age cohort? In the case of qualifications, I could say that my degree was issued by Northumbria University instead of Newcastle upon Tyne Polytechnic; but then I could be accused of falsifying my CV to conceal a material fact of age. And a simple employment history will show evidence of age, especially if youā€™ve had a lot of or long-lasting employment roles.

I suppose the answer is that discriminators are gonna discriminate, and anyone with my sort of history is going to be promoting their CV on the merits of experience. And who would want to work for an employer who does not value experience?

(Actioning a discrimination case in the UK on these grounds is likely to take up time that someone engaged in a job search doesnā€™t really have, let alone the available head space, as opposed to actually finding a job.)

2 Likes

Hmmm either Postman or Cypress, methinks.

Good question.

I had a look. Hmm, maybe itā€™s ā€œSite Opsā€ as in ā€œI worked closely with developers, leadership, site ops, support, business analysts and stakeholders.ā€

I donā€™t think I see that used much these days. I might be wrong.

Iā€™ve got mentions of COBOL on mine, but thatā€™s since Iā€™m in FinTech, not because Iā€™ve been working with it since the 60s :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I think I removed itā€¦, nope, COBOL is still on my CV.
4 months of COBOL is the only formal computer science training I have, so itā€™s probably stuck there. Never used it, but itā€™s a certificate.
Some recruiters ask me what the ā€œNDBGā€ in some versions of my CV means, thatā€™s always a laugh, if not, I take the que to move on.

1 Like

@conrad.connected A recruiter told me that a IT student (fresh out of college) learned Cobol as he saw that local banks had job ads for this role that were opened for months, and that young dude is charging 150+ Euros per hour now.

3 Likes