What psychology taught me about QA

(Filip) #1

Hello community! I wrote a blog about my background in psychology and how it helps me with testing today. I hope it to give you some valuable insights on how you approach testing and working with your team. Happy reading!

9 Likes

(Adam) #2

Some good food for thought there Filip, thanks for sharing that!

1 Like

(Ileana) #3

Hey Filip!
I really liked your article. Eventhough I’m not a psychologist, I’m familiar with the problems you mentioned and their solutions.
What was extremely hard for me to accomplish over the years, was to realize it’s not someone’s fault but an opportunity to improve. I was always looking for whose fault it was so I could feel better about myself. Therefore results were often the same, so I started to look for a different and better way to do this. And it worked!
It’s not an easy task I must say, but as you get into it, it gets easier and you understand about perspectives.

0 Likes

(Filip) #4

Yeah, that is a real challenge, it’s amazing that you have found your way :+1:

Although I think that it was not solely your responsibility to find it. If you feel vulnerable, your „fight vs. flight“ response lights up. Whenever we feel threatened, we tend to choose one of these responses. I think it is vital for leaders to create a safe environment for people they work with, to help them minimize the risk of such response.

At the moment, I’m thinking about how I give feedback to my teammates and I really try to make sure, that they feel safe when they receive it. Otherwise they „fly away“ looking at someone else to blame. That‘s not what I want for them. I want them to grow and I can be a great enabler for this. (In other words, I don’t want to be the one with poorly constructed feedback)

I think there are two sides to every feedback and every critique and both sides can either empower each other or make them weaker. It is really amazing that you have found your way to gain from the challenges that face you :clap:

1 Like

(Adam) #5

The feeling of safety is absolutely critical for good teamwork, Google’s “Project Aristotle” looked at what the key factor for a high-performing team was and came to the conclusion that it was psychological safety.

3 Likes