Are software Testing Certifications worth it?

(Damcosoft) #42

I just want to ask about certifications.

Is it necessary to do certification if someone is having 7 years of experience in automation testing?

I am litlle bit confused.

(Heather) #43

I’m going to be that person that says “It depends”. A lot of it depends on the job market you are in. I personally didn’t need one to get a job and had a good selection of job alternatives in Belfast but I know it’s quite common in places like London to require one.

If you have 7 years of experience I would think that stands to you much more than a certification. That said, when you look at jobs in your location (or potentially the location you’d like to move to) do they have it as a requirement?

(Damcosoft) #44

Thanks for replying.

It means I will not go for certification.

(Heather) #45

No problem :slight_smile: if you want you can always check out the BBST course work online for free. I think ISTQB possibly too. You wouldn’t get the certification from it but you’d see what they offer.

(Boipelo) #46

Do you by any chance have a link I can follow to check out the BBST course work? The free one ofcourse :slight_smile:

(Heather) #47

The open source/creative commons information is on testing education. I’m not sure how up to date that is. I took the course for certification through AST.

(Kevin Greenhalgh) #48

After 5 years of being called a "Senior Tester, I went on a course and gained my ISTQB Foundation Certification. Was it worth it?

I cant say the course enhanced my understanding of software testing; that has been done on the battlefield of projects good and bad, but it did reinforce or cement my understanding, which was no bad thing.

A certificate shows that both my company and I are invested in my professional improvement, so yes, I think they are worth it.

(Brian) #49

If the course did not enhance your understanding of software testing, then how does it contribute to or prove your professional improvement?

(Kevin Greenhalgh) #50

The question was one of worth, not proof, though certificates achieved through the passing of a test do provide some evidence of professional improvement; though as a toolmaker by trade I know many highly ‘certified engineers’ I would not leave unattended with a sharp tool. It proves little, but the value is often more than the certificate.

I guess the what the course contributed was confidence in my knowledge, it underlined that I had learned a lot from experience, books and the Internet.

As it has been mentioned, some employers will filter CVs’ by certificates attained. Personally I will take experience and good communication, along with confidence over a certificate list. And yes, I have applied that rule.

Sometimes the value in the certification is broader than the content itself.

(Beren) #51

I like that. “Reinforce & Cement”.
Would you agree that every time you set yourself up to learn something, you don’t necessarily have to learn something new? Even if you are exposed to new things you don’t actually have to adjust your models or beliefs.
What does ALWAYS come out of such exercises is exactly what you mean with reinforcing and cementing:

Empowering you and giving you a better way to express yourself, your beliefs and what you think is right.
Even if that means you haven’t learned something tangibly ‘new’.

The trick, however, is finding what works for you. Do you want to find something new, or want to spar your ideas against others? Do you want to set your own goals or have them set for you? Do you like reading, experiencing, discussing, modeling,…?

(Chris) #52

Here’s my translation: The world of hiring and the office environment are not strong meritocracies. They are influenced by your sex, age, height, race and personality. It doesn’t matter what you do, it only matters what you’re seen to do. It doesn’t matter what you know, it only matters what people think you know. Certifications, while absolutely no proof or indication of skill or ability, are a way to influence some people to think about you positively (while not others) and to show that you’re willing to make efforts to improve, even if that doesn’t necessarily mean actually improving or having proof of that improvement.

Obviously I’m talking strictly about the certification, not the content of any course that provides a certification, which are two different things. The answer to “are software testing courses that provide certification worth it?” is “Some of them, most likely. Apart from the certification bit.”

(Simon Godfrey) #53

Hi all - new here :slight_smile:

As a test manager who’s been in the testing industry since 2001 I have some thoughts on this. I’ve only ever taken the ISEB Foundation course, that was back in approx 2003-2004. I don’t believe they are essential to the growth and development of a tester but I do agree with the sentiments above that they are a signal of an invested interest in development.

Would I mandate a tester attends the ISTQB? No. Would I support them if they expressed an interest in the qualification? Yes. There are many ways in which a tester can develop, I see this as one of those but wouldn’t prioritise it above other training such as technical training or mentoring.

I also haven’t found the face I don’t have the advanced certifications as a barrier to new Test Management or Test Leadership roles. When you have experience and examples you can talk through certifications become less important in an industry such as ours.

The bottom line, however, (and my opinion) is that these qualifications have zero bearing on how good a tester or test manager becomes.

What signals prove that you invest in your career?
(Benjamin) #54

I still have the huge, heavy, ISTQB Foundation Level Course in Software Testing learning material/mega-book right here at the back of my desk at home. Collecting dust. Let me blow the dust off and read some of the content headers to you.

The Seven Principles of Software Testing…#1)…

Throws book out of the window in anger

You cannot ‘teach’ someone to be a Software Tester with this mind numbing drivel. Testers, good testers, are people who are stubborn, curious, cynical, analytically adept, strong communicators, powerful influencers and sticklers for perfection. These are traits that people are born with.

Stick 'Boundary Value Analysis and Equivalence Partitioning were the sun don’t shine! As a tester, your mission is to ensure that an application under development is the best it can be for the client who is paying for it.

If you are going to attempt to teach people Software Testing. Teach them common sense. Don’t confuse them with ridiculous buzz words.

We are all consumers in our day-to-day lives. We have all used an app or a website and payed for a program on a PC, tablet or mobile device in our lives. We have all experienced what it’s like to take on a new program with no knowledge of its functions. Learn its functions. Its uses. And we have all found ourselves with a little piece of something in that software that we did not like. A button got stuck, a field refused a value or a page loaded slowly or it failed to load at all. We have all tested software in our lives. You wouldn’t tolerate or except those annoying quirks as a consumer so don’t except them as a Tester. That is all you need to teach.

These courses. These certifications, exist purely to make money. To make money out of you!

Save yourself the time and the expense.

There are a worrying number of companies that insist on a tester having at least an ISTQB Foundation Level certificate before they would consider them for a new vacancy. I would give these companies a very wide berth as it shows they know little about what true software testing involves.

Aim for the companies who are looking for dynamic investigators. The companies that understand that a tester needs to be a cynical consumer first and a certificate holder last, or not at all.

I failed the ISTQB Foundation Level Software Testing course by six points…

…I’m a Consultant Software Test Analyst by the way.

(Kaarel) #55

In my own experience I can say that the ISTQB certification can open up a few doors. I recently got my own ISTQB Foundation Level certificate and today I came back from vacation and there was a message in my LinkedIn inbox about a job offer. In details there was a “Desirable skill” and it was about this certificate.

But personally I don’t think much of it because the syllabus and my everyday work is very different. So I think it’s just something to be added into the LinkedIn profile to be more “professional” tester.

(gordon) #56

Whilst there are very good arguments against ISTQB, something like

is just plain wrong. All of those skills or traits can be taught to a person, yes some people might naturally be stronger in these areas but they are also very straight forward to teach somebody who is naturally weaker if they want to. It also doesn’t serve the wider community to define good testers as these special creatures who are just born that way and if you don’t think you have those skills then tough there is nothing you can do about it.

So you see no value in those techniques at all? You would happily have an tester who had been testing for several years who had no idea what these things are?

(craig) #57

I did up to the ISEB Practitioner, the real benefit was the depth of the conversation during the course which was based on the content of the course. Sites like MOT, Testing Meet-ups and Test Bash’s can replace the tangible benefit I took from my exams.

My advice would still to do the ISEB, it takes 3 hours to do the Practitioner Exam and 30-ish hours to study. It might not improve you professionally in your day to day job, but rightly or wrongly at a career level it opens doors and provides opportunities that might not have been there without it.

(silvia) #58

I am ISTQB / CAT / IREB trainer, and I own a software testing company un Uruguay, South America.
The certifications don’t have a particular value itself. If you are a competent and honest professional, the certification is only a kind of “checklist” of your knowledge.
Lot of people have a confusion between the content of the certifications and the evaluation method. They said “you are evaluated in a multiple choice way, and it is not serious”. The ISTQB does not evaluate any other points that the points described in the syllabus. It does not contain anything about “soft skills”… it is true, absolutely true. May be this method is not the best (I think that is not, for sure).
At least here in South America, the certifications are the only way for a lot of people to demonstrate their proficiency, even they are not passed trough the academic education.

Just to complement, I put here a note by Cem Kaner about the certifications:

all by best from uruguay :slight_smile:

(Olaf) #59

I’ve been involved in software testing since the mid-90’s in some form or other as part of my original qualification (non-IT), and got my ISEB certification in 2001 when I switched to software testing full-time. At the time, I was told “get the certification, or you’ll get nowhere”. I did the course, passed the exam and entered the IT world. Since then, I’ve had a lot of different jobs in IT, and each one of them has been based on that first little addendum to my CV- ISEB. Has it made me a better tester? I don’t think so- I’ve managed to forget most of what happened then, and replaced it with real-world knowledge and skills.
What it has done, though, is establish that I have, at least, passed a formal exam and therefore know at least the basics of what I need to do.
Since then I’ve neen hiring and firing, and been hired and made redundant. The one common thread is still “have you got your xxxxxxx certification?”, which is simply HR’s way of filtering out applicants who do not meet at least that basic level of fitness for purpose. Some of the best testers I’ve met and worked with took the certifications as an afterthought, when it became clear that their new position would not be possible without it. They would not have made it past that initial hurdle of filtering the CVs even though they have been testing for years, and are extremely good at what they do simply because of a clerical requirement.
@sjwatsonuk 's comments below are extremely similar to what I ask new starters on my team when they arrive- I find these answers and their attitude and approach are more important than a piece of paper that satisfies HR.

In terms of value of the certifications? They all espouse “common this” and “common that”, but there is certainly very little “common” whatever, even within departments of a company. What is useful is the basic knowledge of what should be tested from a purely technical perspective, and the doors that these certifications open. Proper testing, though, is as much attitude and approach as technical testing, and that cannot always be taught, or revealed in an exam.

CV with no certifications
(Mayur Shah) #60

Not really! Unless you could justify the experience related to the same.

(IA) #61

It seems to me that all the discussion in this thread is focused on ISTQB Foundation level certification.

What do you professionals and experts think of ISTQB Test Manager and Expert Level exams, like the one for test automation?

I agree that these cert-industry is one way to rob people of their money. ISTQB foundation level is tooooo expensive.