What Does Your Career Timeline Look Like?

@anon68517856 Thank you! Life can do ā€œinterestingā€ things to people, but Iā€™ve found that with effort and a bit of luck, thereā€™s usually a way forward. The important thing is not to give up when things look bleak.

I have a rule for myself: when things go bad, Iā€™m allowed to have a day of abject self-pity where I wallow in how terrible it all is and eat chocolate to console myself. After that, pick up the pieces and look for ways to improve the situation. If itā€™s really bad, keep going for a day at a time, or a minute at a time when itā€™s utterly horrible.

I havenā€™t had to narrow my focus to a day at a time for a while now, but it does work.

4 Likes

This is interesting. I thought I had an odd career pathā€¦

• Apprentice in various trades (carpenter, HVAC, painter, drywaller, machinist, pressman, typesetter, electrician, auto mechanic, etc.)
  • Settled on graphic arts (pressman, bindery, typesetting)
  • Worked on a computerized press (Heidelberg) and a computerized typesetter (CompuGraphic)
  • Dad told me we were all going to be out of work due to robots and computers (haha, this was 1982)
  • Taught myself computers and volunteered at a computer club (software librarian, magazine contributor)
  • Software Consultant offered me work on CompuServe as a system administrator
  • Wrote terminal software and games for 8-bit computers
  • Got a job writing utilities, documenting software, customer support, hardware repairs, etc. for productivity software company
  • Company was bought by Electronic Arts
  • They hired me to train their people on the software line and set up customer support
  • They decided to have me stay on full time
  • Moved to California
  • No education and self-taught, they couldnā€™t get me a work visa to work in California
  • Moved back to Canada
  • Got a job in retail and educational sales
  • Wrote utilities software for equipment we were selling
  • Company closed the retail store and I was unemployed
  • Decided to go back to school and become a high school teacher
  • Needed university degree to get into teacherā€™s college
  • Worked as a teaching assistant and lecturer while getting my bachelorā€™s degree
  • Someone in the Faculty of Education misplaced my application for teacherā€™s college
  • By the time I looked into it, it was too late and I had to re-apply the next year
  • Decided to get a job but not a real job
  • Got a job working as a QA testing software for programming Digital Signal Processors (DSPs)
  • After a few months I decided to not go to teacherā€™s college and continue to be a QA
  • Worked there for 6 years
  • This Internet thing seemed to be popular so I got a job testing Internet related software
  • After that I worked as a QA in a startup, cryptography, government, online book store, digital asset management, consultancy.

After 12 different projects Iā€™m still working for that consultancy. Best job ever because I get to work in many different industry for many different companies.

4 Likes

I think what this thread is showing us is that having an odd career path is no obstacle to having a career as a tester! Itā€™s not mandatory, and there will be roles where it doesnā€™t help, but equally there are roles where itā€™s a positive advantage.

3 Likes

@brian_seg @anon68517856 could be a good new thread for one of you to start :wink:

1 Like

I have a degree in Computer Games Technology. Also there was a short stint when I tried teaching plus have worked out of hours for a small company plus Iā€™ve spent time self-employed developing (very unsuccessful) games. However for actual jobs:

• 1.5 years as QA Tester then Senior QA Tester for a games company
  • 1 year as Systems Designer (i.e. gameplay design) for above company.
  • 1.5 years as Software Test Engineer for a company doing security software & hardware.
  • 1.5 years as ā€œEngineering Supportā€ (later changed to ā€œSenior Test Engineerā€) at same company as above, where I picked up support cases passed to Engineering.
  • 5 years as a Software Engineer, still at same company.
  • 1.5 years (so far) as Software Test Engineer / Senior Test Engineer, still at the same companyā€¦

So something like 9 job titles and been in about as many teams but only 2 companies.

A lot of folk were surprised when I switched back to test from development but I thought testing was more enjoyable, especially when Iā€™m in the right mind to find bugs, and I also I much preferred learning about new techniques for testing than code design strategies and lacked the enthusiasm for new languages that my colleagues had.

3 Likes

@anon68517856 has started the follow up thread :+1:

1 Like

I started in software development (QA wasnā€™t even a thing) and was a developer for 15 years. I switched to QA. A few years later, I had a developer tell me they were surprised I switched from Development to QA. I was happier as a QA.

At the same company I knew a developer who wanted to create comic books and artwork. The only reason he was in development was because his parents pushed him to be a developer. After years of being a mediocre developer, he quit and started doing comics and artwork. He is very happy now and makes more money than when he was a developer.

I realized, it is better to do something you like than something with a high potential for money. For example, say a developer can make between $50,000 and $120,000 per year. A QA might only make $35,000 to $100,000 per year (Iā€™m just making up numbers). If you dislike programming, youā€™ll probably make $50,000/year. But if you like QA, youā€™ll probably make $100,000/year.

Iā€™ve also had a developer recently say, ā€œYouā€™re really smart. You know you could be a developer.ā€ I smiled at him.

3 Likes