I started to learn about API testing from my project KBB at KMS Technology. Below that is my approach for API Exploratory test.
Understand API requirements
- What is the API’s purpose?
- Parameters,Inputs,Constraints in API.
- Error Handling (Exception, Error messages being used)
Specify the API output status:
Verify responses code equals to 200 or not
There are five values for the first digit:
- 1xx (Informational): The request is received and continues to be processed
- 2xx (Successful): The request is successfully received, understood, and accepted
- 3xx (Redirection): Further action needs to be taken to complete the request
- 4xx (Client Error): The request contains the wrong syntax or cannot be fulfilled
- 5xx (Server Error): The server fails to fulfill an apparently valid request
Focus on small functional APIs
Using some testing techniques(equivalence classes, boundary value analysis, error guessing) to write a test case for your API
Run testcases and compare actual result with expected result.
You can find more information related to API testing at https://www.katalon.com/resources-center/blog/api-testing-tips/.
Apply automation testing for API