30 Days of Ecommerce Testing Day 6: Testing My Cart

Day 6 of 30 days of Ecommerce testing is:

If you were testing a “my cart” webpage, what three test cases would you perform first? Share them!

I had some experience with this when I was testing our store ahead of the TestBash Brighton pick ups. I also like to randomly test carts on different sites to see how they compare. I’m not really one for test cases so these are more ideas that might inspire you in your own test case creation.

My approach was:

1. Try selecting a greater quantity of items than we had available. Once I got to the cart, was I told that we didn’t have that quantity available and I could order X (the quantity in stock) instead and the price was adjusted accordingly.
  2. On eBay recently, I was trying to buy a large quantity of different items. I tried to add 5 different items to my cart, I was on to my 6th when I noticed that my basket only had 4 items. I tested this a few different ways once I noticed it. I explored what happened if I was purchasing everything from the same seller, 5 different sellers, the same item in a quantity of 5 etc.
  3. I always always try negative numbers. If I see an update cart option I will always see if I can purchase a negative amount of items.
3 Likes

The sanity test I consider to perform first on a "my cart webpage is –

1. Add a few items to cart with multiple quantities. Check if quantities and total price is correct (Simply case Total = Quantity * Unit price, or more complicated cases with discounts for large quantity purchase)
  2. Decrease the quantity of multiple items down to zero. Check if the items with zero quantities are automatically removed
  3. Perform check out to test if
  • The total cost is correct
  • Shipment price is correct included and displayed to customer
  • Estimated arrival date is correctly shown
  • it can automatically forward to payment page after the purchase is confirmed by user

Cheers,
Anthony

2 Likes

My cart webpage would include exhaustive test cases, since you have asked for top3…here goes my list

1. Add multiple items of multiple count which may include bracketed negative scenarios as well (even add 0 to check if its not added or throws error message, to order above the available count to check if it intimates the user, add negative number which the application should not allow)

2. To check if discounts, promos, coupons are applied

3. Check out and finish the transaction to see if its successful

2 Likes
  1. Check if the correct product and the correct price is displayed on my cart (and for several products).
  2. Apply a discount coupon and its rules.
  3. In a cart with several itens, remove some of them to recalculate the final price.
2 Likes

I was thinking more in terms of test case bunches:

1. CRUD/flow - create, read, update & delete operations (requirements-dependent but in general add [standard/quickadd], change quantity/attributes, remove/all) + submit
  2. basket persistence for anonym/logged user (e.g. add to cart -> exit site -> return to site(1) -> log in (2) -> then log out -> log in again (3))
  3. basket performance + border values (stressing with number, quantity, cost of items - performance vs freight costs/discounts/user price)
3 Likes

If we really want just the “first three” shouldn’t I be testing the most basic functions?

1. Add one item to cart and check out
  2. Add multiple items and check out
  3. Add several items, remove a few of them, and check out.

If any of those fail, we already have a problem!

1 Like

Here’s my first three!

1. Add and remove an item from the cart.
  2. Dig deeper into the add/remove items - how many items can I add - how few? Zero? -1?
  3. Persistence - if I close the browser, and open again, is the cart still full?

Full thoughts here!
https://www.supertestingbros.com/blog/2018/5/9/30-days-of-e-commerce-testing-day-six

2 Likes
  1. Deleting the product from cart
  2. Playing with the qty in terms of maximum, minimum quantities etc.
  3. Adding products from different tabs/sessions
1 Like

Sharing the Twitter answers here:

I’d test the basic functioniality of a shopping cart first, e.g. :

Can I add articles to the shopping cart?
Can I leave the shopping cart and the articles are still there when I re-enter it?
Can I change or remove articles from the cart?

(of course there are many more, but if I have to confine myself to the first three, these sound reasonable to me; all of these I’ve seen fail at real shopping carts…)

1 Like

Top 3 test cases for cart

• check if the product is visible in cart with all the details (image, price, name, QTY, summary/color/size/scent) after being added
  • check is it can be removed from cart
  • check if the changes (color, number of items, type) are saved.

#30DaysofTesting Day6

1 Like

@yogitakl shares her test cases for day 6 in a recent blog

1 Like