Ask Me Anything: Test Strategies

I think this topic was covered in the AMA. But let me still answer this, since this is an important topic and I like to add a few things. Involving people is often a matter of getting their interest. So talking in tester slang is not going to help you.

So do not say stuff like:

We’ve will create 17 test cases in the system test, we will automate 50% of those test cases for area C so we will have 30% code coverage. Last time in this area we found three major and five medium bugs, so I want to add 3 FTE’s to do orthogonal pairwise testing. To mitigate the risk of this calculation to fail, we should do equivalence class analysis, use self-verifying data and do the elementary comparison testing!

Also talking about stuff that is too general is boring because it will not add a lot of value. Talking in too much detail is also boring for many people because they want to talk about stuff that matters to them. So I suggest to talk to different stakeholder in different settings.

Alex Schladebeck and I did a keynote about how to talk about testing and quality called “Let’s stop talking about testing, let’s start thinking about value”. Check it out, although it is not recorded, we wrote a blogpost about it with the main points.

1 Like