📚 C is for […]

C is for CRUD.

Probably the most important and helpful heuristic.

CRUD stands for Create, Read, Update and Delete.

Think of it as the things you might want to do with an entity within a system.

For example, can I create a new customer record? Can I view it? Does it match the data I input when I created it? Can I change the record? And what happens if I attempt to delete the customer record?

Combine CRUD with other heuristics and that’s where the magic happens. For example, combine Create with Permissions. Does this particular user permission have permission to create a new customer record?

2 Likes

C is for Claims.

Look for written words, videos and audio for the thing you’re about to test. It might be in a document, could be on a website or perhaps it’s a chat with a colleague.

What claims are made? What does it claim to do, help and achieve? Use those claims as an oracle to spark test ideas. What happens when you compare claims with what you discover for real during your testing efforts?

C is for Chaos Engineering

2 Likes

C is for Cynicism, am attitude of mistrust that many testers put to good use while dispelling myths.

1 Like

C is for Control Charts which are widely used to gain insights on ‘objective and measurable qualities’ of a product such as performance test results.

C is also for Centenary because today it is 100 years since Walter Shewhart wrote the memo which led to the introduction of control charts