Embedded Software/Hardware Testers United!

OMG, that does sound very painful !
How did you ā€œbookā€ a hardware? email? spreadsheet?software?

yes, that seems to be the way to do. I just wish I didnā€™t have to make a business case to get a simulator madeā€¦ Isnā€™t it common sense?

We created an outlook area and booked the hardware like you would a meeting or appointment.

A possible way forward might be to

• port your applicaton to a host machine
  • decide on a small functionlity for modelling
  • implement and integrate the model
  • measure the costs and quantify the savngs for not testing on the real hardware
  • presen the figures to your management
    and hopefully you get some more time and money to extend your model step by step?
1 Like

Thatā€™s a brilliant work-around that Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t think of myself.

Yes, we have worked that way, but Iā€™m sorry that I didnā€™t think of it :blush:

So the story goed like this in the world of hardware and testability.

Some hardware guy searches out the cheapest chipset for the microprocessor that they can find. Usually itā€™s something from TI or Atmel with kilobytes of memory. The software guys then request something with a bit more memory, but certainly not enough, and arguments ensue over the $1 difference in prices for the item. Since weā€™re talking about a price-margin difference which is huge, the financing people get in on the game, and between the three groups, they fish out the best option to upset all of them.

In a good team, THIS is the point (if not sooner) that the test team should be brought in. In other words, the one question that nobody asked is, ā€œhow do we test this?ā€

The best solution that I have seen is that the company spent the extra money on the processors to have a Linux based system which only ran the simple things. It really wasnā€™t much more expensive, and in a limited number of clients, the margin of the hardware wasnā€™t that big (About 2000 units were made). The money was then made in the software service contracts. Since the system was entirely based in a common operating system, we could easily do unit tests, communication tests, interfacing tests, etcā€¦ with NO hardware. This was also brilliant because it then enabled us to do performance testing as wellā€¦ which I have never been able to do up to that point in my careerā€¦ only estimates.

To put it shortly, the ā€œluckyā€ was planned in for that system, and now I advocate that the same luck is planned in even before software is considered on a new system.

1 Like

My ā€œfacepalmā€ moment for today:

Dev: ā€œI thought we do unlimited power cycles and leave it running overnight.ā€
Tester: "powercycling a below-production-quality product, overnight, no supervision, in an open-space full of other electronicsā€¦ yeah sureā€¦ I saw smoke coming out of one our ā€œbelow-production qualityā€ board when I powered it on a benchā€¦ but sure letā€™s do thousands of unmonitored, powercycling of a bad-quality hardware. "
so I now declare myself in possession of a new hat called: ā€œdonā€™t set the building on fireā€

But as testers weā€™re only supposed to gather information about the product under test, my test report should look like this, right?
Expected: software continues to function correctly.
Observed: building reduced to ashes.
Outcome: pass with notes.

Sometimes we have to laugh, because thereā€™s no more tears in our eyesā€¦

1 Like

I LOVE that hat. I wear mine a lot.

Please note that Iā€™m running exactly those tests right now, and Iā€™m not at work. So umā€¦ may I have my hat back?