Have any of you ever been at a crossroads in your career?

Hello folks, I just found this forum and have been searching around and gleaning what info I can over the past day or so. Figured I would share my current journey and see what advice I may unearth. Thanks for reading and any thoughts.

I am 9+ year veteran of the Software QA world. All 9 years of my career have been spent at the same fortune 500 company.
Through Nov. 2022 to May of 2023 the company, like many, let go of a large chunk of its IT staff. After ducking and dodging the cuts my time finally came last May. Prior to my 9 years in IT, I was a sales person for this company for 15 years. Needless to say, a change of scenery should be a healthy move regardless.

I decided to take some time over summer, hit pause and figure out my route for my next steps. To rewind a bit, I left sales for a few reasons, but chief among them, was the constant rat race and levels of stress. It was high volume and fast paced. Burn out was inevitable for most who do this type of work. I knew i needed change. I had always loved working with computers since I was a kid , but had no formal training and really knew nothing about software development.
I reached out to a manager I knew within our company and he gave me a shot as a QA. I enjoyed the challenge and soon was making some great headway on my new path. I loved testing the software I used to work on as a sales rep. It gave me great satisfaction. I worked my way up to more high profile projects within the company and soon was seen as a senior member/ leader of our QA group.

As a note, we didnt have QA leads, or even QA managers. We had team managers, that typically came from the BA or Dev background. On a whole, our IT dept didnt really have a large QA presence. Of the 700 people that made up the dept, the highest headcount for QA got to about 50 worldwide. In our region/continent it was more like 28. Most of our QA department was manual testing only with little to know interaction with automation . We had a team or two that stood up automation frameworks for their products, but being a big company, it might as well have been a whole separate entity behind closed doors to most of the rest of us.
I pushed for our teams to use automation but mostly got pushback from above stating that manual was more important and to just stick with our usual testing strategy. We would get some token opportunities when things “slowed down” to work on automation projects, but I would barely call it enough to say we were automation engineers or anything.

I pushed for the chance over the last few years to learn/work on automation and did get some time and experience (mostly on my own time) automating and writing some scripts using puppeteer library/Typescript and with a group of other QAs learning, we were able to automate some e2e user workflows. We managed them for a while debugging the tests and updating various test scripts. Our management said, "cool, now get back to manual, we will talk about this when deadlines cool down. " We never got back to it.
So here I am, trying to find my next job on this journey, and I am slowly realizing that automation is the broken link in my skillset. What i have done isnt nearly enough, its like dipping the pinky toe in.
What I am wondering is, are there more attractive ways to level up my skills, more value added paths, or is automation so essential that it really is the necessity in the toolbox?
If it is, what is a logical next step for an unemployed QA looking for work, yet also trying to level up skillset meaningfully in the mean time.

4 Likes

Oh my, nobody replied to you in 18 days :open_mouth: :frowning_face:

What I am wondering is, are there more attractive ways to level up my skills, more value added paths, or is automation so essential that it really is the necessity in the toolbox?

It’s a tough question for sure. I hope you found something since then but in any case, automation skills are of course always a very valuable skillset. I’d call them basic programming skills as automation is just a fancy word for programming.

I would say of course there’s a lot of jobs out there for non-automation jobs and projects. In fact, many job ads that claim to have or offer some sort of automation are plain wrong / misleading / unrealistic. Often times you realise they just use that buzzword to attract people, or they simply have wishes of automation which their management or QA want, but they simply never came through with that plan and rely almost exclusively on manual testing.

So fear not. First start with some self-introspection, what skills you think you’re good at, what do you love doing and where you want to get in your career and only then seek jobs that fit your description. At least we in IT industry have the rare luxury to choose where we go because we have a lot of options, just don’t jump at first offer with an excuse or fear that you won’t get any other anytime soon.

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, it can differ from yours, take it as an another angle, just don’t bet your career choices on my opinion alone :sweat_smile:

sorry it has taken me so long, but thank you for the response.

My job search so far has been a disaster in many ways. I would have thought with 10 years experience as a QA (2 in a senior role) working at a fortune 500 with experience testing, well just about everything under the sun, I would be a bit more desirable.
I don’t know, I have to admit, I am new to this job search stuff and I am probably my own worst enemy in some way that i am not seeing at this point.

I think not having deep automation skills is hurting to some degree, as most every QA job posting asks for that to some extent.
As a QA I have always had the responsibility to determine what gets automated, but had very little experience in actually scripting automation. The experience I have isn’t using selenium w/ JS or Python, we used Puppeteer with some Typescript and JS, and never integrated into a deployment pipeline of any sort, we just kicked it off manually. That doesn’t really cut it for most who are looking for automation. It was a pretty ad hoc type thing, and honestly, if the QA’s had never pushed for the experience we would not have gotten it.
I worked at a place where the QA’s handled everything but automation, and the automation was handled by contractors. Sort of a mess and really wasn’t taken very seriously by the org.
At any rate, thats my fault for not staying current in my work experience. I needed to jump ship and get it somewhere else when I could have, but didnt cause I liked my company.

1 Like

that is very unusual as QA experiences go, hope you find your feet and level ground soon. It’s a rocky road, and although it’s easy to say that managers are often blind, understanding why exactly they are blind to process optimizations and never bothered to engage with the SDLC is perhaps going to bring you some peace with you move. But don’t count on it. Good luck Chet!

1 Like