How you prevent defects? Do you have any special techniques to recommend?

Hey there,

Do you have any special tips that you used as a tester to prevent defects ?

2 Likes

I believe the special tip is one of the principles of testing; Early Testing. I believe if your team can do a thorough verification of your specifications, you will have minimal defects.

I’m a junior tester, I don’t know anything, forgive me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

@sabur is not wrong :slight_smile:
If you can remove some defects in the grooming/analysis phase, you’ll definitely prevent some defects.

We also engage our clients in this phase and show them mock-ups or early designs, so if they wish to change anything, they can do so early on. It’s been a big help! We all know at least one story where we finish the product and the client goes “hmm is that what I asked?” :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s true to make all the 3 amigos have the same understanding and avoid bugs in later phases :slight_smile:

Absolutely ! Thank you for your comment. All the best for your role.

Hi. Here are a few tips which I use in my day-to-day work.

• Discuss each new feature or bug fix with the team to take at the sprint backlog. Try to get as much in-depth information as possible.
  • If functionality is not straightforward, try to develop one or more user scenarios for the feature. It can be in an open form or the form of Given-When-Then (Gherkin language).
  • Make sure that the whole team understands the business / technical value of the feature and the Product Owner correctly prioritizes the story.
  • Analyze each bug fix and prepare at list high-level “post-mortem” description on why it happened. Use the “5 Why’s” technique for it.
  • During the feature discussion - try to come up with “what-if” scenarios. If you know the product more from the user perspective - it’s great. If you don’t know the technologies for the product - you can either involve a more technical tester in the conversation or ask your developer, “how can it be broken?”.
  • Ensure that you have a unit test coverage threshold set for the code: e.g., it can be “at least 75% or 80%” coverage. Ideally, this coverage should be automatically checked at the pull-request level and prevents developers from merging new code that is not fully covered.
  • Prepare integration and end-to-end cases beforehand (before the developer will implement the feature). The more you get into the functionality - the better edge cases you can find.
3 Likes

Agree with whats already been said. Talking to people prevents so many issues. Experience from other teams / projects helps too. In my context I’ve been able to prevent an issue in one team, that I’d encountered in others.

3 Likes

There will always be defects, so test as early as is humanly possible to minimize their impact.

2 Likes

I think everything was mentioned. I’ll just add static testing

2 Likes

Defect Prevention is a crucial activity in software quality assurance companies to manage quality of the product and to prevent later phase expenses.
Below are some techniques to prevent Defects in later phases:
1. Early involvement of Testing Team: Earlier the testing team will be involved the lesser will be the defects.
2. Analyzing Software Requirements : If testers/developers are involved in analyzing the requirements from the early phase and make clear understanding, defects can be prevented in later phases.
3. Reviewing and Inspection: Peer Reviewing or self reviewing various tasks within the team can be very helpful to prevent defects.
4. Defect Logging and Documentation : While reporting a defect, documenting it with key information, parameters and analyzing the reason for the defects.
5. Root Cause Analysis: Analyzing what triggered a defect to occur , team can be cautious to prevent such defects from occurring in future.

3 Likes

Lots of pairing and good communication.

• Preparing testing notes to talk about in planning and putting these on tickets helps us to work with devs & product to understand what’s going to be tested before code is written. This often helps identify problems earlier or just helps devs understand the ticket better and build the right thing with the right automation first time around.
  • We also use a Show Me column on our board between In Progress and Code Review. Before anything gets code reviewed and way before it gets to QA, devs show product and QA what has been done. This helps identify bugs and small problems and speeds up the process further down the line. Our bug counts and bounce back has fallen steeply from this.
  • Pair as much as possible.
2 Likes

Totally true, thanks for sharing @robbie.falck
We used to pair and work in branches test-dev and even if there is a bug we find it in early stage and collaboration is important to speed up things.