HR Systems Analyst to Tester

I have worked with a range HR systems for over 10yrs. I have gained an adaptable skill set and in-depth knowledge of systems, on how they should work and what happens when they do not. :upside_down_face:

I have been actively applying trying to get my first actual role in testing but to no avail :weary:

HR Systems i have used are: IRIS Cascade/Cascade HR, Oracle, Snowdrop, Workday, PeopleSoft, Saleforce, Drupal, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Bullhorn other in-house systems.

How can I make my CV/profile translate more effectively to the world of testing?
Has anyone come from a HR background that can give me information on how you got your first role?

I would be grateful for any tips - thank you :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome to the club Kalisha! You’ll find tons of people willing to share and help you on your journey.

I’d recommend some things…

1. Try and articulate any scenarios where you have performed testing on the HR systems you have worked and talk about how you helped improve the systems

2. Find yourself a mentor within the testing world who can share industry tips and help shape your CV

3. This article from MoTs own @heather_reid will really help get you started This would be a good starting point too - 30 Things Every New Software Tester Should Learn | MoT

Happy to chat further and see how I could help.

3 Likes

Hey Kalisha, I wrote a blog post about this topic:

I know one person who was a tester and become a HR, but not the other way around. In any case, try to leverage all the skill that may be overlapping and carry them over, for instance, you would probably have good chances applying for QA positions where it’s required to work with Dynamics 365, or similar.

2 Likes