I don't like this "Your coworkers are not your friends. Get your money and go home." Am I alone in testing community?

Hey, I just realized something.
You found a bug in my text. :smiley:
So, thank you, and can you verify that the bug is fixed?

Looks good to me! :wink::grinning:

I work with some great people, I work with some people that I dislike intensely. I have made some of my best friends through work. Next month I’m going to the wedding of one of my team. A decade ago, I married a coworker, and we were surrounded by coworkers at our wedding.

You don’t have to be friends with your coworkers but it’s awesome if you can be. The same can be said for others in your life, your neighbours, dammit even your family :stuck_out_tongue:

What I would say, is that if you work in a place where you feel alienated and alone, it’s probably not the right place. Even the best jobs on paper are awful without the right people around you. Life is too short to surround yourself with negativity.

And yeah, most of the testers I’ve met are lovely people, it’s a great industry. Most devs too for that matter. We won’t talk about Scrum Masters or PM’s :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, l really feel that way to.

“What I would say, is that if you work in a place where you feel alienated and alone, it’s probably not the right place. Even the best jobs on paper are awful without the right people around you. Life is too short to surround yourself with negativity.”

This is one of the reasons I am determined to change my career.
Other one is that I truly enjoy working with different applications, testing them, building algorithms in my head or on paper to help me solve different problems or to improve work performance. :grin::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Testing, as a career, is not inherently pleasant. I’d say that if you have an interest in testing then you should pursue it, but it won’t be nice just because it’s testing.

The testing community is really testing communities. Some of them have terrible ideas. Some of them encourage dehumanising practices. Most communities have some toxic element and I can tell you with first-hand experience that the wider testing community certainly has some people like that, even some that seem nice, and even some with well-known names and speaking engagements. That exists everywhere, but while their existence cannot be avoided they themselves often can. Some communities are fun and open and encouraging and nice, and I consider MoT to be amongst them.

I don’t know if testing has a lesser percentage of toxic people, but it definitely has its share of bad ideas. Historically there’s been some upset and heated words over ISTQB or the 29119 standard. There’s poor implementation around written test cases, misunderstanding of automation and what it can and cannot do, weird ideas around metrics, and a lack of respect given to testing and testers.

Moreover, as a tester you won’t be working with the testing community. You’ll be working with other people at your company. Your test clients will include developers, operations, support staff and so on. The testers at your company may not be in the same testing communities that you are.

Another problem with testing is that nearly nobody knows what it is, how to do it or what it’s for. You may be hired by someone who doesn’t understand why you exist, so has made up their own mind about what you are to do, and that might be a barrel of terrible ideas kicked down the stairs of scientific ignorance into a river of misery and over the waterfall of fear formalisation into a pool. The pool in this case is not a metaphor, it’s just a pool. Perhaps the people you work with don’t value testing - you may have to prove your usefulness for them and to them.

If you are interested in epistemological ideas, scientific thinking, new challenges every day, self-improvement, process improvement, building skills and helping people then I’d seriously consider testing as an option. Finding a company that will allow you to actually test, and for pleasant humans who listen to you, is another problem entirely - but not impossible to solve.

2 Likes