Interested in TestRail? Ask Their Team Your Questions

Hi Sarah, we’re glad to hear that you like TestRail! Enjoy the conference!

1 Like

Hi Sean, thanks for your question. Most teams create new test runs for each new set of executions, and then use milestones to collect the runs for each major release. So if you’re executing tests every night, then yes, you’d create a new test run every night.

1 Like

We have a testrail exporter which runs with our team city builds which is using the testrail api, I find it takes quite a while to update our test runs in this manner. Would you have any feedback how we can speed this up please?

To give some further context, we basically have our manual and automation tests in one test suite, we then create the testrun through our testrail exporter which allows testers to have a better overview of what needs to be tested manually.

Hi @hili1231 - there’s a couple of things we can look at regarding the API, but all roads likely lead to us needing some more specific details about the specific calls being made and in what sequence.

Some things to consider:

1. How much data is being returned in the API responses? - Clearly if it’s a lot then things are likely to run a little slower. Consider applying filters to the requests to limit the data returned.
  2. Experimenting with the specific flow of API calls and any subsequent processing. This is where we’d need some additional information about the specifics :slight_smile: - If you don’t want to discuss those here, you can send us an email to contact@gurock.com.
  3. Whether your TestRail instance is hosted locally, or in the cloud. We rate limit the API somewhat so as to prevent our cloud system from being overwhelmed (e.g. by a DDOS attack). Details here: http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/errors

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Simon

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. Will send an email to discuss this further. Thanks

You mentioned TailRail integrates with TFS, presumably it means Azure DevOps now?
If so, can you explain more about how TestRail can be used with Azure DevOps? For example, if you raise a bug in TestRail, does it manage that same bug as a work item in Azure DevOps?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hello, I am new to tests rail and we use it to integrate with YouTrack. Question on sending defects from test rail to youtrack. Is there a way for screenshots inserted in testrail to be sent over to youtrack ? Currently, I manually copy paste them to youtrack because when the defect is created the image links seems to be broken. Is there a way around this?

Hi Ben,

The current integration between TFS/Azure and TestRail is pretty minimal, allowing you to configure a basic URL-based integration to easily jump to the space in Azure to create new issues, and easily add links to your test cases and results by entering only the ID of the issue from Azure.

That said, we do have a planned update for later in the year that will contain a number of improvements to the defect integration systems, including adding integrations for Azure and other tools, and improving on the functionality of our existing integrations.

3 Likes

Hi @jeanintest - we expect to support the pushing of attachments from TestRail to YouTrack very soon. As @jacobscotttestrail mentions above, we have a release planned for later this year that will add this functionality to all our existing integrations, and introduce a couple of new ones also.

2 Likes

Is there a cost in upgrading to the latest release of TestRail if we are using an older version?

1 Like

I used it at my previous company and miss it greatly!

2 Likes

Hey Sean,

For a vast majority of TestRail Server licenses, no, there is not any charge to upgrade your installation the most recent version. In some cases, there is an older license type that is no longer supported, which would require switching to the current payment model before upgrading would be possible. You can check your license type and download the most recent installation files to process the upgrade by logging in to the customer portal here:

https://secure.gurock.com/customers/auth/login/

For more information about your specific set up, you can reach out to us directly at contact@gurock.com and we’ll be happy to help!

1 Like

Hi Sean - if you’re using TestRail on-premise, then the answer depends on your license. If you’re using TestRail in the Cloud, then you’ll always have the latest and greatest version! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We miss you too @mandi! Is there someone at your current company we should contact to try and persuade on your behalf? :wink:

1 Like

TestRail is indispensable to our QC team, but I wouldn’t say there is a great love for it in the company. Our (internal) users use it to record UAT results and I think they feel it is a bit of a chore. They want new features in the software, but don’t really want to spend the time verifying new functionality.

Having said that, it’s a great tool and keeps our auditors happy. We can show that our tools are fit for purpose because we know exactly what has been tested and what the results were.

1 Like

It’s always good to know your product is indispensable! On the UAT front, we have some features planned that will hopefully make life less of a chore for your business users. Watch out for some news in this regard later in the year.

Not much we can do about the time needing to be spent; if only you could automate away some of that work… :wink: (Spoiler, links to our sister company Ranorex).

They’re pretty set on Azure DevOps unfortunately. I’ve mentioned it a couple times, but no takers.

Possibly something some of the team could help out with?

I would love some advice on Administering TestRail on an Enterprise level. We have our TestRail instance to be set up so that all teams get their own Project within TestRail. Im not sure if there is a way to set up the User/Roles so that we can have System Admins and the Project Admins. The idea being that Project Admins could add testers to their Project and administer their projects without having overall System Admin rights for TestRail. I haven’t been able to figure out how to set this up, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Currently we have a small team of two people who are System Admins that are having to assign everyone to projects, this is definitely not scalable.

Thanks!

Hi @jloeffler

This is not currently possible within TestRail - however we do plan to introduce this functionality for enterprise teams in our TestRail 6.5 release, later this year.