Interview question

First of all, it’s my first post on the forum. Hello and nice to meet you all.

I am writing because I have no experience in testing yet and I was asked below questions in the interview.

Apart from the number of test cases (for which the questions calls) - what would be proper test cases for these scenarios?

I am not sure if I have answered them correctly (didn’t get any feedback), so I’d be glad if more experienced colleagues commented on this topic, which would help to steer my thinking in the right direction, as at the moment I have doubts only.

Best regards

Hello @amarm and welcome.

Can we see your answer?

My first thought reading the question was… ew. Quite abstract in an IF/ELSE psuedo-code layout. I don’t like the way the question is worded, or why it’s looking for a minimum number of tests. Why not ask for all the tests you can think of, then get you to state the most valuable ones?

Anyway, besides the question you’re asking.

Just looking at scenario #1 I thought of 9 checks;

Ticket question exists
Single option available
Return option available
Rate question exists
Standard option available
Cheap-day option available

Customer books Single ticket > return correct price and messaging
Customer books Return ticket > Standard > return correct price and messaging
Customer books Return ticket > Cheap-day > return correct price and messaging

When checking if something exists, I’d be checking if the wording is correct / expected. Similarly when certain options are available, I’d be checking the options look correct / expected too.

There are also other checks that can could be done if this is on a web UI, or if each other these questions had an API endpoint and you could fire off payloads to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer Sam and I agree about the way the question is worded, that’s why I had some doubts.

Anyway, my answer was ‘3 test cases’ for each scenario.

For the first one I have thought of test cases as below:
Verify whether an user is able to purchase single ticket
Verify whether an user is able to purchase cheap-day return ticket
Verify whether an user is able to purchase standard return ticket

I wasn’t sure if I have to consider additional test cases related to existance of specific options (‘…ensure that all questions have been asked…’), as I have thought that above scenarios cover it anyway (if we only consider the purchase ticket procedure, not look and feel)