Is a full stack profile essential to getting hired?

Guillaume Faucompre (@guillaumef) asked an excellent question during Ben Dowen’s (@fullsnacktester) Masterclass: Teamwork Makes the Full-Stack Testing, Dream Work

Would you say the full-stack profile is the trend of what companies are looking for?

Very interesting to reflect on where the industry is going and what hiring managers are looking for.

Are Test Managers looking for something different than, say, an Engineering Manager who is looking to hire a Quality Engineer/Tester?

What do you think, is a full stack profile essential to getting hired these days?

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by full-stack. But I think there are thousands of contexts or stacks for testers and developers.

Most serious senior developers I have met dislike this term as it only means to them that the person is good-at-nothing, and knows a bit of many different things(except a lot of others that they won’t know), which can be decreasing their value when the company wants to hire a specialized person for a gap in their team.

In my experience with looking for jobs this year in a couple of countries, I would say it’s detrimental in about 50% of the cases to have focused on too many things, as a lack of specialization will decrease your chances of getting hired compared to others.

It is good to have the skills and understanding of how you can adapt quickly to new environments and be able to express yourself.

As an example, I lost a job offer some months ago because I couldn’t precisely describe during an online interview, the implementation of a specific test case using Selenium syntax, flows, tricks.

1 Like

I suppose this idea has come from the situation where you see a whole lot of tech requirements i.e. .NET framework, Selenium, Appium, Cypress, Specflow etc in a job advert. In my experience even if you have the experience in the tech they are loking for, it doesn’t increase your chances of getting hired. Test tooling preference or any developmental tool preference constantly changes. In my experience I have explored many tools and technologies during my career in Software QA and I have seen interest from employers because of this. But it is more important in my opinion, to be able to demonstrate that you have the willingness to learn about new technology and able to pick them up and utilise them. Examples of how you tackled a specific problem and what resources you have utilised and why, are more powerful in getting you a job.
One thing to add, chances of getting hired though depends on many other things than just meeting the expectation of the advert i.e. salary expectations, relocation requirements, how many applicants have applied, economic climate, how well the employer knows you, connections etc.