Lack of Respect/Appreciation of Testing (ratio of Testers:Devs)

There is so much to say on this topic, but what just got me going is a recent job posting. The company is looking for a "QA Tester’ to help them out - temporarily. Yep - it’s a temp position. That shows their commitment to quality!

Then I decided to look at the Company’s Team - 27 people total. 12 were in the Business arena with 15 in the technical arena. Not a single tester there! The only front-end dev was an Intern. Perhaps this is because their app runs on iPhones and Android devices and the UI options are so limited, they don’t need an experienced front-end dev? Not sure.

It’s sad to think that tech companies would develop a product without seeing the need to include a full-time tester on the team.

1 Like

Taking a cynic’s view of this, perhaps they think their customers will do the testing for them, and actually let them know when they find something wrong as opposed to taking their business elsewhere?

1 Like

Other options:

1. They have always tested themselves, but due to a high work-load, don’t have the time to do this right now.
  2. While they have high quality standards, they believe a tester can increase the standards more.
  3. As most of their product is hardware driven, they may not have needed a software tester until at this time in the project.
  4. They do not think they have the workload for a full time tester after a current project completes.
  5. They have outsourced app designs and are looking for someone to test what has been outsourced without additional drains on their current projects.
1 Like

“Taking a cynic’s view of this, perhaps they think their customers will do the testing for them, and actually let them know when they find something wrong as opposed to taking their business elsewhere?”

Originally, I was going to mention that - the-customer-as-tester model. Fits in with the “Will Continuous Deployment Become a new Worst Practice?”

1 Like