Role: Software Tester
(from roles with titles such as Software Test Engineer, Software Automation Test Engineer, Junior Software Test Engineer, QA Engineer)
Activities include those related to testing product with some information discovery such as:
- Participate in all aspects of QA product lifecycle: understand the product requirements, test cases creation, feature/regression/integration/end-to-end test execution
- Construct test cases for the defined test plan; modify existing test cases if test requirements change
- Find, precisely describe, reproduce and rate defects
- Maintain testing documentation
With some more specifics:
- Assist with automation design
- Participate on automated tests development
- Identifying suitable candidates, within the system, for automating.
Some related to shared understanding and improving delivery:
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Communicate statuses and escalate issues in timely fashion
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities
- Development Support – provide feedback to the Product Manager and Development team
Communication is included:
- We are a close-knit team and collaboration is key in everything we do …
- Communication is key to this role and the ability to work with both technical and non-technical users to allow you to solicit feedback …
As are behaviour and approach:
- Act in a professional manner at all times as is consistent with the aims and values of the company
- Be self-driven, with focus on achieving team goals and overall project delivery milestones
- Willingness to work beyond normal business hours as appropriate
- Willingness to travel (infrequently) to support our worldwide business
With some possibly beyond the basics:
- Product Support – provide technical support for customers worldwide and assist our clients.
- Marketing Release Support – generate relevant data to support product releases
- Undertake special projects and fulfils other duties as may be required
Skills tend to be more specific than ‘good technical knowledge’ though can include general testing experience:
- Experience of software testing
- You will know testing like the back of your hand and be able to demonstrate your knowledge of using test design techniques, exploratory testing and an understanding of test environments.
- You will need to have experience working within a development environment
And some more specific technically:
- Working within an Agile framework.
- Experience with good source control tools (Git or similar)
- Working experience with CI / CD tools like Jenkins, CicleCI (starting builds, checking statuses).
- Any experience of Automation would be of advantage
- Ability to design, implement auto-tests from scratch for the new functionality
- Code literate with scripting, database and querying skills
- Development experience (C++(beneficial), Python)
- Experience with mocking tools, performance testing tools, etc.
- Experience with bug tracking tools (Jira or similar)
Communication skills can be present:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English as well as good interpersonal and networking skills
- Able to influence and challenge where appropriate but also shares ideas and listens to views and opinions
With some critical and lateral thinking:
- Naturally intuitive, observant and curious
With some additional behavioural/educational entries:
- Excellent attention to detail analytical and solution driven
- Relevant university Degree
- Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
- Diligent, hardworking, and willingness to learn.