Most commonly used tags for test cases

Hello,

I use a test case management app that can organize test cases with tags.

I was searching for the most popular tags used for test cases but didn’t find any web pages or forum posts that could answer my question.

My first idea for a tag would be “needs_new_user_account” to tag those test cases that need a new user account and belongs to different features organized in folders.

My question is: What are your tags, and which purposes do they serve?

Thx

4 Likes

Generally, I’ve seen tagging used most often to designate something “structural” about the code, teams, or organization using the tests rather than something about the tests themselves.

This is likely because tags are often used to help humans do their jobs or keep track of their responsibilities.

For example, I’ve most often seen tagging used to designate either:

A. The service under test - this happens primarily in micro service and/or mono repo applications.
B. The team responsible for the test - this happens when there are a lot of teams involved or in heavily siloed orgs.

Your example of calling out tests with special prerequisites often happens when certain tests require something unique or time-consuming, which is also in line with calling out when there is difference in the underlying process.

Another example I’ve seen is tagging around the functional area of the app the tests belongs to - this helps with automation so folks can filter and run tests relevant to code changes being made.

In the end, you should examine your process and determine what is most important for you to be able to index off of to get your job done faster/better. Your tagging strategy can evolve naturally from there.

Hi there. We`ve also developed tagging approach within our test management system this year. We decomposed our system into 2 big types: 1. business modules; 2. functional modules. Then we started to define tags that match our functional modules and this may help us in several ways:.

1. Clearly defines ownership zone of each cross-functional team
  2. Helps to find quickly exactly those tests that are needed (i.e. those functional modules that were modified and need testing). This sharpens our testing focus and prevents exhaustive testing.
  3. When analyzing the system in this way - we have really improved our knowledge about it (applicable only for big/complicated systems with many interrelated modules).