Panel Discussion: Management in Testing

For our final speaking session on Friday of TestBash Manchester, we’re joined by @taheerah, @christhacker and @mohamedmulla for a panel discussion all about managing in testing.

Get your questions in here for our panellists so that they can answer them live during the session.

Remember that liking any questions already asked will increase the chances of them being answered live during the panel :heart:

2 Likes

Looking on a elaboration on management vs leadership vs coaching. … I know it’s a varies a lot. could the panel, if not already, elaborate on differences and share examples of managerial roles and tasks?

1 Like

Could the panel discus wrt. the organizational location of testers, test coaches etc? Experiences wrt having them as part of the delivery team or in a seperate unit. Is there a difference if the the peopke have a more enabling than participating role ?

1 Like

Why do we need Test Management - what value does it add?

6 Likes

Any tips for how managers can help their teams while everyone is working remotely, with a lot of challenges like having kids / other family members at home, maybe lacking home office infrastructure?

6 Likes

Is there a difference between management and leadership?

1 Like

Do you have any advice on how to boost one’s career from QA Lead role to QA Manager?

3 Likes

What’s the best way of identifying someone’s motivation and drive if flat out asking doesn’t work?

1 Like

Leadership and management has always been difficult. However, what has been your biggest challenge in management since the era of COVID? How has being remote impacted this challenge?

1 Like

Have you had to justify testing or had to explain the value? If so, what were your arguments or explanations of the values of the craft?

3 Likes

what lessons have you learnt during your time in management?

1 Like

How do the panelists judge (for want of a better word) the performance of testers? Frameworks, goals, objectives etc.

1 Like

Btw: there’s also this thread on the club:

2 Likes

How do you feel test management has changed during the last few years as projects have moved more towards Agile/DevOps teams? especially as scrum teams do not have managers and everyone is at the same level

2 Likes

What is your recommendation for people who feel trapped because the expectation is to move to management but you want to stay an IC? Do you believe there should be another path that allows people to stay IC and still grow professionally?

3 Likes

I’ve heard advice a few times over the years that as a manager you should be aiming to make your role redundant even if you will realistically never reach that point? (i.e. the team and function have grown and developed to a point where they are can function without you)

1 Like

There are people who are good at leading processes and those who are good at leading people. Which type of leadership do you think is more important in case of test management?

1 Like

Hey Jit,

For me there is. I think it’s involvement. You lead from the front but don’t manage from the front?

Hey,

I’d start this by looking at the career framework for the QA manager and working out my gaps. I’d then take that document and have a career conversation with your manager and even possibly their manager and asking the question of the “gaps” you have at moving between the two. See what they think.

1 Like

I think a question I like to ask is “How do I get the best out of you?” and see what they respond with?

2 Likes