Power Hour - Dive into Browser Developer Tools with Alan Richardson and Viv Richards

As Alan mentioned, I tend to also rely on the official developer site.

I find sometimes though as with anything just relying on reading documentation to learn can be very dry.

I mentioned in an earlier response above a gentleman called Umar Hansa (Dev Tips - Developer Tips by Umar Hansa) .I like to follow him as he messages out often about cool new tools being released within Chrome DevTools. I find when I see some of the cool new tools which are getting released within Chrome I start to gain an understanding of how they could be of use to my day to day activities, that then gives me a starting point to know what to dig deeper for within the official documentation.

So many extensions I havenā€™t used :slight_smile: So much more to learn and experiment with :slight_smile: The only one Iā€™ve tried there was BugMagnet, I also found the source for that useful when I was writing my own Chrome extensions.

Iā€™m looking forward to the LTG workshop so that Viv can show me how to use the overrides properly - Iā€™ve never managed to get that working and simulate it with proxy tools.

I also need to try the Coverage tool. Iā€™ve never noticed that or used it :slight_smile: But I need it.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I know right, I use just a handful currently but there are so many great add-ons and extensions out there. Iā€™m currently really liking the ā€˜Page Monitorā€™ extension you showed me.

Like you I also used the ā€˜Bug Magnetā€™ extension to get an idea how to get started when I tried to dive in to extension creation a year or so back - itā€™s a fantastic extension.

I hope I donā€™t get impostor syndrome :blush: - looking forward to the workshop next month. I hope some of you can join us.

1 Like

Iā€™m frantically scrolling up and down this forum in case I missed something!

Tick Tock only five minutes on the Clock.

2 Likes

Do you use any we havenā€™t listed Ady that youā€™d like to share :slight_smile:?

1 Like

Since JavaScript behaves differently on different browsers;
Are there some particular areas that testers should focus or look for? -Thank you!

I can see now that ā€˜watchingā€™ this page would have removed the need for the Page Monitor - sometimes knowing tools and code means I miss obvious functionality at first glanceā€¦ my excuse is that I wasnā€™t logged in to the forum when I was browsing the questions.

1 Like

ohā€¦ and weā€™re out of timeā€¦

Ahh good to know. I hadnā€™t thought of following those accounts.

Thank you!

:slight_smile: yes.

As a quick scan look for syntax errors in the console.

1 Like

And, if possible, any unit tests used for JavaScript, if they are using an HTML framework to trigger the tests. If they can be run cross browser then that can help mitigate JavaScript issues.

1 Like

One thing I try to . do, and I havenā€™t done this for javascript though. is run the code through a validator - e.g. Total Validator Pro will validate the HTML and CSS - and Charles proxy can do this too by sending the files to the W3C validators.

In theory, if there was a good linter, we could pass the JavaScript through that.

Anything that doesnā€™t validate, I view as a risk.

Thank you to everybody who took part in the #MotPowerHour this evening and left Alan and myself so many great questions :+1: , itā€™s been good fun.

3 Likes

JavaScript is harder though because it is dynamic and the different engines change.

A lot of people rely on the ā€˜frameworkā€™ being compatible cross browser e.g. React, or Angular, and may not test cross browser as much because they think it has been mitigated.

1 Like

Yup, thanks all. Many thanks for asking challenging questions.

3 Likes

Thank you Alan and Viv! Lots of great questions and answers :pray:
Also, thank you MOT for this awesome PowerHour :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Itā€™s been a pleasure, thanks for taking part. Without people like yourself getting involved and asking great questions it wouldnā€™t have been so much fun.

3 Likes

Thank you for your time and answering my question, I have taken lots of notes during this hour!

3 Likes