ReTestBash UK 2022 - What is Quality Coaching, Why Should Testers Care And What Difference Does It Make For Our Teams? - Vernon Richards and Stuart Day

What is Quality Coaching, Why Should Testers Care And What Difference Does It Make For Our Teams? with @testerfromleic & @sjday95

Talk Description

This is just a fancy name for “Testers”, right?

Maybe, maybe not. Let’s talk about it and find out!

We’ve been leading, mentoring and coaching quality teams for over a decade.

They’ve even been known to do that work together over the years! During that time, they’ve seen attitudes to testing change and evolve.

One recent change is the increasing amount of “Quality Coach” and “Quality Engineer” roles appearing in companies.

Is this a fancy name for the same kind of “Tester” roles that exist already, or is there something significantly different between them?

We believe there are and will highlight the differences during the conference!

Takeaways

• Define Quality Coaching and Quality Engineering
  • Compare the difference between quality coaching and quality engineering roles versus traditional testing roles
  • Contrast how their current approach differs from a quality coaching and quality engineering approach
  • Choose from more options to deal with quality and testing challenges that crop up in their work

We’ll use this Club thread to share resources mentioned during the session and answer any questions we don’t get to during the live session.

3 Likes

Resources

Questions Asked Live

@marie.drake - I’m a big advocate that everyone in the team should test. However, speaking to a few testers, some feel that their jobs are at stake. Any advice to them?

@sarah_oconnell - How best to approach coaching developers, who feel testing is only for testers?

@sarah_oconnell - What metrics would you use to verify quality coaching has had an impact and has contributed to positive growth for the whole team?

@lehaze - How do you see the shift from tester to quality coach with regards to job title/salary? The same or a different role? One per team or one per department?

Anonymous - How do you stay in the unconditional positive regard mindset when you interact with complete idiots?

@weetabixhands - Where do you see a QA team member spending their time, if we manage to get the team testing tickets?

Unanswered Questions

@bethtesterleeds - Goes without saying that I LOVED this talk - how did you find speaking and delivering a workshop in a (dynamic) duo? How did you prep?

Anonymous - Company has decided to stop manual testing and moving to fully automation approach! what are key things to consider? so quality doesn’t get compromised!! Thanks

@kika - I understand ‘Unconditional positive regard’. But does it not become overwhelming to you as a person when practising it with everyone? If so, what can you do?

@bethtesterleeds - AMA or Q&A?

4 Likes

This is awesome, just discovered and going to watch the Q&A later as we are also going to prepare for Quality Coach roles / paths in our company. Thanks for the links.
cc @dnlknott :wink:

4 Likes

Is there a recording for this talk?

3 Likes

Hi @morenacarvalho ,
Yes, all talk recordings from TestBash UK 2022 and live Q&A sessions from ReTestBash are available on this page: TestBash UK 2022 | Ministry of Testing

As a Pro Member, you have access to all the recordings. Just make sure you’re logged in with your Pro account to unlock them.

Enjoy this talk! :wink:

2 Likes

I just came here to say that I love those dance moves! :smiley:

2 Likes