Share your favourite tool and explain why – 30 Days of Tools, Day 1

Congrats on joining Day 1 of the 30 Days of Tools challenge. :muscle:

First up, if you haven’t done so already, be sure to select the “Subscribe to Topic” button on the 30 Days page to receive a challenge reminder in your inbox each day in October.

Share your favourite tool and explain why.

• What tool brings you joy?
  • What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems
  • What tool helps you be a better tester?

Some helpful resources:

To help you with this challenge, check out these resources of people sharing their thoughts on tools:

Feel free to reply to this post and share wherever you like, on the MoT Slack, LinkedIn, Twitter using #30DaysOfTools, Racket, your blog, with your team and any place you feel might inspire yourself and others to do the same. Let’s learn from each other throughout October.

6 Likes

What tool brings you joy?

Right now, I’m getting a lot of joy from GitHub actions. I’m finding it really easy to add test suites to our various pipelines, and it’s fun.

What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems

We use Sentry for tracking exceptions.

It’s proving really valuable - when I hit an error or exception in app, I can go to sentry, find the exception, and drill down in to the root cause. It’s really nice.

What tool helps you be a better tester?

Coffee machine. Can’t do anything without it :joy:

13 Likes
    https://scre.io/ This brings me joy as, i no longer need separate apps for screenshot and video capture.

• What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems
    https://sitechecker.pro/ Although, it is commercial and free-trial available.
    It helps me to solve the SEO Problems on the websites.

Web Developer - Chrome Web Store
    This helps me to be a better tester.

10 Likes

I think the tool that is bringing me joy atm is Screen Flow because it means I can record the bugs and prove that they do exist :joy:

I don’t know if BrowserStack is a pleasure to use but it does allow me to view our apps in all different browsers on all different types of devices without having the maintain vm’s or have the physical device.

My voice because it allows me to talk to team members and users of our products to get feedback on things and identify risks.

9 Likes
  • What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems?

For me :snake: Python :snake: is the answer to all of these questions. It is so versatile, easy to get started with, and great for integrating things. It is often said Python is not the best tool for a specific task, but more than good enough for a wide variety of things. That makes it the go to tool for me

9 Likes
    Visual Studio Code: It let me create test scripts with ease. Nice intellisense and a lot of usefull plugins to use.

Google Chrome Inspector: debugging failures/checking api request/responses etc.

Cypress: It helps a lot in automated testing. Less wories about things that I don’t need to test anymore manually.

12 Likes

Klaxoon, it’s colorful and the timer sound is excellent! :sound:

Chrome and Firefox Developer Tools. Have I to explain why? Accessibility, security, performance, finding IDs for automation… :mag_right:

Postman! An API tool (platform) for building, using and testing APIs. :automator:

9 Likes
    InteliJ - it’s almost writing code for me… :sweat_smile:

• What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems?
    Postman - I use it every day basically to do API testing, a bit of monitoring, and collaboration with the team (sharing collections, for example) and I got a few automated smoke suites tests there as well.

As others mentioned, the Developer Tools in the browsers, helps me inspect the UI, check for console errors, play around with session tokens and cookies, get insight into API details, even do basic performance testing and check a few accessibility-related things, check memory usage. Last but not least, it can be used to debug JS on the website, has basic IDE functionality. It can be extended via browser extensions to work with Virtual DOM, overall a great starting point!

9 Likes

What tool brings me joy?
The list is growing :
– Azure CI/CD pipeline – Love to see the 100% green status for all my automation code.
– Postman – Where I run my APIs to ensure everything is working and data is sent and received as expected.
Regex.com – Recently, I have learnt to use it and I am enjoying my simple regular expressions.
– Chrome Dev tool - The best tool to use to check for the locators/ api call status/ to learn about the CSS used
– Edge – WCAG Color contrast checker - Helps with colour contrast check for accessibility needs
– NVDA Tool --Though I am not aware of in depth understanding of all its features, but it helps with the screen reader testing for the accessibility need.

7 Likes
    Docker, speeding up the build/deployment process from dev to QA and avoiding errors of manual upgrades
    Not always a pleasure to use but browserstack saves so much time and cost on buying physical devices to test our application across web and mobile
    sentry.io, reporting errors when they happen that are not always visible in the UI
6 Likes

What brings me joy is face to face discussions with my colleagues where we are collaborative and problem solving as a team.
What is a pleasure to use and helps me solve problems is online resources like Salesforce Developer Forums and YouTube and of course MoT!
What helps me to be a better tester is my inquiring mind and willingness to learn.

6 Likes

Huddle option in Slack – it really feels like your colleagues are near you although you work remotely

Pairwise, it saves a lot of time

Test design techniques

7 Likes
    Right now i’m having some fun with Licecap.
    Cockos Incorporated | LICEcap
    A smal tool to record/make animated gifs. Adds a little something to my reporting.

Sort of like this one…
licecap_joy

8 Likes

Burpsuite, the joy of using repeater & intruder :stuck_out_tongue:

Git for version control
It helps me remember all my previous commits <3

Developer Tools, helps me understand what’s going on in the browser :wink:

4 Likes

Slack - I have Slack installed on all of my test devices. Slack allows me to directly send screenshots and recordings to either a person (might be also me) or a channel. I can also take them later from Slack and add them to a bug description.

What’s the one tool you go to that is a pleasure to use and helps you solve problems

Google - need I say more? No problem is unique. Someone somewhere has already had the same or similar problem.

Grammarly - fixes my spelling errors and sentence in general. It also teaches me to not make the same mistakes in the future. It has the biggest impact when I write confluence pages and bug descriptions. Also, it gives me feedback about the tone used. Sometimes I even use it and fix other’s mistakes in User Stories & Bugs, just because they get highlighted :smirk:

7 Likes
    Grafana. One of our projects uses a huge test report screen with Grafana statistics. Having a look at the current status is part of the daily stand ups. This creates a great quality awareness for the whole team!

UltraEdit, the swiss army knife for every topic :wink:

livingdoc. It’s a Confluence Add-On that allows you to do Keyword-Driven-Development (like Fitnesse). Using livingdoc test specifications was a big win, concerning the agile process, team productivity and feature clarity.

7 Likes

Morning! I’m pretty new to testing but thought I’d give this a go.

Snag it- use for absolutely everything - really easy to comment/ edit/ etc.

Lucid spark has been great for discussions/ etc.

Ministry of Testing- it’s helping me level up & learn lots!

6 Likes

TinyTake for video screen capture, it’s free, flexible and allows me to capture system audio so I can torment any dev viewing the captured bug with my music!

Chrome Dev tools mostly for all the same reasons others have mentioned!

The myriad of chrome extensions that I’ve found on here thanks to you lovely lot! And I quite like the x-ray exploratory app as well when the situation calls for it!

7 Likes

Would it be weird to say Excel?
It’s great for quick comparisons, making results easier to read and spot issues, creating evidence that’s easy to read, creating tables of test ideas… its uses are endless! It’s also something that most people are familiar with before becoming a tester and I find that mentioning to new testers that they are already using formulas, conditional formatting etc can build confidence for them to move to more complex test automation.

Probably something like Chrome dev tools… there’s a lot hiding in the applications I work on and these tools really help and it’s great for working out good locators and so many other things!

Probably things like Slack and Teams… they’ve really made it easy to collaborate, ask questions and ease into a team. I’ve been on my team for over 18 months now and still only met a handful of them, but I feel like I know them all pretty well now!

9 Likes

Yulia - can you pls list which pairwise tool you use

4 Likes