TestBash Leadership 2022 - Decision Making for Teams with Christian Kram

In this talk, @christian presents situations where groups need to decide and what strategies and methods there are to make different kinds of decisions as a group.

We’ll use this Club thread to share resources mentioned during the session and answer any questions we don’t get to during the live session.

1 Like

Resources Added in Advance

Questions Answered Live:

1. @nufenix - Has remote working changed the body signals you used for decision making?
  2. @brgibb - How do you choose who is involved in different types of decisions?
  3. Anonymous - Do you time box how much time you use to make a decision of any kind? How many people are involved?
  4. @melissafisher - I’m curious about people who are resistant to the final decision made - has it caused any problems? or general acceptance of your decision-making process?

Questions Not Answered Live:

1. @helianthus - How would you implement these techniques (esp body language based ones) in a hybrid setting? (some on-site, some remote)
  2. Anonymous - Do you time box how much time you use to make a decision of any kind? How many people are involved?
  3. @finnish - How do you decide which one of these decision-making tools to use? :slightly_smiling_face:
  4. @edthetestingtester - If most people are a 2 or 1 (have concerns), couldn’t that mean a good idea, but concerns need to be addressed?
  5. Anonymous - How long have you used these decision-making methods?
  6. @hutchqa - What are some steps you took to move oose into a co-op?
  7. @testerfromleic - How do you facilitate this, so folks with strong opinions are heard, without going over the allotted time for the call?
  8. @fireavley - Ever discovered you have people with particular expertise (not known about at the time), after a relevant decision has been made (& presumably publicised)?

Thank you all for all the questions. I think some of the questions ended up in the wrong category, so I will just answer all of them :wink: You will find my take right below.

I can’t really remember any major issues like that. Usually these things come up as part of the group decision, where people will let the others know that they have a certain expertise in that.
If that should happen, though, it wouldn’t be much of a problem, since we following the “always beta” rule and decisions could be reworked and redecided based on the newly acquired (or in this case revealed) knowledge.

1 Like