Testing a user story

Usually to test a user story the QA team creates test cases and then creates test runs. Here in the company there is no tool for this, so do you consider it worth creating a checklist with several scenarios for each story? Currently I’m using Evernote for that.

Template that I created for each story

1 Like

The workplace I am currently in also don’t have any prescribed tools for capturing test cases. We work using Agile and use Jira for our user stories to work on.

I document my test cases using a format similar to this as a comment on each story I am testing:

The prefix describes the witnessed behaviour before the new code is deployed and the postfix describes the behaviour afterwards

Testing Result:

Pre-Fix:

Environment: [Environment-name]

Scenario 1: [Description of the test scenario]

Process:

[Bullet point list of the steps to perform the test]

Result:

[Bullet point list of the results witnessed running the process]

Scenario 2:
Scenario 3:

Post-Fix:

Environment: [Environment-name]

Scenario 1: [Description of the test scenario]

Process:

[Bullet point list of the steps to perform the test]

Result:

[Bullet point list of the results witnessed running the process]

Documentation of the scenarios you tested and what you tested them against is always important.

Have you looked at Google Sheets? We’re also currently without a dedicated test case/execution tool, and Google Sheets works OK for us. You get the benefit of everything being in a giant table already, as well as all of the features and flexibility that comes with being in a spreadsheet, e.g. execution percentage (if you’re willing to take the time to set it up), and conditional formatting (automatically make the background of any test that failed red etc) .

The table you’ve shown is good to map features and platforms have bugs in each version.
This is clear for strategic decision making of releasing or bug fixing planning - because you know what platforms and features are most important.

However, I guess for the pure test documentation - which aim is to provide to a tester the information necessary to re-test - a charter is more precise, given you generally want to focus on a feature rather than testing the whole system.

Example here.

Either way seems effective, you just have to find the best documentation practices that boost the clarity of testing in your particular project (people+problem+time).

@rob212 Thanks a lot for your template :slight_smile:

@anonygoose You’re right, I will check the google sheets, but I believe that my team like the evernote

@joaofarias Thanks a lot for this chart, I will read about this chart today to start the use.