Testing Skills in a Data Analyst Role?

Iโ€™ve seen a couple of people lately exploring the thoughts of moving more into data analysis or moving completely from testing to a data analysis role. The most common question I see asked is:

What skills do you think are transferrable from testing to data analysis?

I know in my previous testing roles, there was a lot of data to process and analyse but that was largely due to the industries I worked in. When I see this question asked, I often think about how I had to use oracles to ensure that data from our new product compared reasonably well to others on the market and complied with regulatory guidelines.

I also think about the programming languages I used, R and Matlab, and how Python was flagged as something the team needed to learn due to itโ€™s power and visualisations (similar to R).

What about you, what skills do you think are transferrable from testing to data analysis?

Hello @heather_reid!

I just moved from a Test Engineering role to a Data Analyst role (I still enjoy reading through the threads at MoT Club).

I believe the transferable skills are curiosity, ability to learn, and collaboration. In my new role, I will be looking for trends or oddities in data which are interesting to our business team. I think this is similar to reviewing application behavior and looking for defects.
For some tasks, I may set up visualizations that are dependent on data warehouses. The visualization may need daily updating. This feels a little like writing automation, and some tools provide for a drag-and-drop definition of workflows which can execute on a schedule.

Ask me again after Iโ€™ve been more immersed in the role, I might have additional thoughts.

Joe

1 Like