Recently I have found myself utilizing Charles Proxy to record my exploratory testing sessions, in addition to good old note taking. I have found it useful for the following things:
- Exploring defects in order to provide more precise info on bug reports.
- Providing more data to developers on bugs found.
- Retracing my steps when I have found something interesting and I want to recreate it.
I have used it so often that I have thought about standardizing the use of it across my different teams in order for them to partake of the benefits I have found in using Charles Proxy.
(Please keep in mind that I understand that if the tool is not properly configured, it may disguise a bug that would have otherwise been found. For example, if it is set up not to allow caching, etc. I also understand that this does not apply to all contexts of exploratory testing. )
So I was wondering…
- Is anyone using this tool for the purpose I mentioned above?
- What are your thoughts on using a proxy tool such as Charles Proxy?
- And if you have used them, in what contexts have you used them?