Tips for breaking into Software testing

Hello all,

We’ve just published an article on ways in which those who are interested in Software testing can break into the industry. You can read the article here: https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/lessons/how-to-break-into-software-testing

A lot of this is based on opinion and experience so I would like to hear stories from other mentors / Club contributors about how they got into testing and what activities they felt helped them. Also if anyone has any questions feel free to ask in this thread.

1 Like

I became a tester kind of by accident. I’d worked as a dev and in support roles when I decided to do a Masters in Information Management - kind of but not related. Anyway half way through my MA we had a talk by some government types about roles available - yes I almost became a super secret spy…no. Anyway, it got me thinking. I was still working in IT Support to fund my MA and it’s generally pretty quiet on Fridays. So I started to play, I may have caused the odd issue as I pushed some boundaries and I discovered I had a knack for testing. It wasn’t necessarily in any particular fashion, I had little rhyme or reason, but I knew where to poke and I was always asking What If.

I decided I was done with that job and needed a new challenge (still studying pt). I went hunting in IT sections and spotted testing. Decided I would be good at that, as I kind of was doing it already. I applied to a few testing roles and got interviews! They went well and I went with a company that fit me the most and was interested in allowing me space to train. I ended up a solo tester for about 4.5years before I moved to a different company but it was the best fun - that’s when I discovered MOT and STC. I’ve been to every TestBast in Brighton since and only recently stopped being a tester officially after about 6 years! (I may still get bored and poke stuff).

So very much something I fell into and didn’t realise for a while that it was a full-time job I could have, even though I’d worked in the IT industry for about 3/4 years prior!

My tip - don’t be afraid to try it. Go for the interviews, you’ll have transferrable skills. Read all the things, take the courses. Risk it for a biscuit!

1 Like

Risk it for a biscuit

Love it!

1 Like