What is a good QA Engineer? or

What is a good QA Engineer… we get this question all the time. When is he good enough, when can we grow? We want to hire a good one!

Now my question to you and I’m keeping it broad on purpose:

What is a bad QA Engineer?
EDIT: A “QA Engineer” where I live is a Manual Tester.

My point of this post. It’s a broad question and people always fill it in with their own perspectives. I don’t want to spoil what I’m looking for since people will only focus on that part, since you might come up with other things that I’m not looking for which might peak my interests.

1 Like

Can we establish what you mean by QA Engineer?
Do we put all these in the same bucket and talk about them as if they would be the same role? Tester, test engineer, quality analyst, quality engineer, QA tester, dev engineer in test, test analyst, User acceptance tester, functional tester, automation engineer, ‘manual tester’…

‘What is a good QA Engineer’
Good at what? :slight_smile: good for the business of the company, good from the standards/certifications point of view, good as in the manager likes them, good in general against others or just in the current role, good at doing what they’re told or good at arguing and doing good testing work, good for potential impact on the clients, good as in price/performance ratio from a budget point of view, good in leading changes to the quality of projects or products, …

Who’s perspective of ‘good’ are we taking? the person defining themselves, their direct manager, the team members, stakeholders, various department leads, engineering lead/manager, …

Counter question: What is a QA Engineer?
I find that an ambiguous term.

Broad topic but there’s a phrase in urdu that goes “Laqeer ka faqeer”. It’s english equivalent is “a stickler for rules”.
It refers to someone who rigidly adheres to established norms or conventions without considering alternatives or changes.

1 Like

Well what’s in a name… I could have maybe written manual tester. But I like that it peaked the interests of what is a QA Engineer. Basically here in Belgium its a reference for Manual Tester and I should have clarified that :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll update the Original post

Exactly my point of this post. It’s a broad question and people always fill it in with their own perspectives. I don’t want to spoil what I’m looking for since people will only focus on that part, since it might come up with other things that I’m not looking for which might peak my interests.

As you mentioned, someone might say: good soft skills bad soft skills, certifications, trainings, … etc etc

As we can only offer answers with very broad generalities I’d go with bad being whatever is the opposite of a given definition of good.

As some examples you could say that if it is good to think deeply about the product and potential risks. Then bad would be doesn’t think independently and does what is asked.
Not curious
Doesn’t ask questions
Ignores anything that looks out of place or unusual etc.

1 Like

I’ll underline this: Who’s perspective of ‘good’ are we taking?
In a couple of places I’ve been to, several people considered a good tester the one that you define as bad, several other people considered them as bad.
Then it’s a matter of who matters :wink:

Yours :wink: it’s a sample broad question to fill in with your own perspective.
As I mentioned above, I want to avoid handing you who what how where when. I want YOUR perspective on this.

Feel free to clarify this in your answer! :slight_smile:

Really the point is to not lay any words or guidance towards you, I want your perspective on what this means to you. It are good questions that you are asking but those I wish to avoid because it will only make you lean more towards answer A or B

That’s exactly why I said a ‘given definition of good’ so it is in the eye of the beholder (or opiniated, depending on how you look at it).

2 Likes