What is the one thing you dread in testing and why?

What is the one thing you dread testing and why?

Manual cross-browser because itā€™sā€¦ boring. At least, I find it boring.

Ideally, it is something that is automated anyway but doesnā€™t always work out, and sometimes faster to do it manually if it is one-off. But I never enjoy doing it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve had to test an audit trail. We had to make sure that there was no missing information, incorrect information or misleading information. It was very boring and repetitive. This was a feature related to industry regulations so accuracy was essential.

2 Likes

Manual regression testing. Boring.

Iā€™ve been trying for years to get a minimal set of automated regression tests up and running, but alas, being the only tester in the building means getting things actually tested takes priority over building regression so I can spend less time doing tedious manual tests in the future.

6 Likes

Test plan templates. I had one which was 67 pages long, in PowerPoint of all things that I ā€œhadā€ to complete for 2 days of testingā€¦ :cry:

4 Likes

I feel your pain! I may sound dramatic, but automating even half of a regression suite changed my life.

1 Like

Sounds horrendous Ady! Did you ever manage to complete it in 2 days?

Iā€™ve had to do similar in the past, provide huge amounts of documentation to prove all the tests were done. There were sections of the same test but with minor variations, just to meet regulations. It was depressing.

1 Like

For me I totally agree on manual cross browser testing , after about the 3rd browser on the same test set Iā€™m struggling to remain vigilant.

Music helps but boy do I dread these days!

2 Likes

It was horrendous @mcgovernaine. Testing was fine. Filled in two pages and waited to see if anyone read it and had questions. They didnā€™t :rofl:

Ha, ā€˜one thingā€™ :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tested too many stories where the real requirements of a story arenā€™t presented to the team until after the developer and I completed a cycle.

ā€œWhy doesnā€™t this feature have this or that?ā€ (ā€œWell, it isnā€™t in the JIRA ticket.ā€)
ā€œDidnā€™t you and the developer get the lengthy email chain? Everything is spelled out in there.ā€ (ā€œIt wasnā€™t linked in the ticket.ā€)
ā€œOh! There are more changes. You can talk to this other manager to get the requirements. Letā€™s put it in the same ticketā€.

4 Likes

I can relate to this for sure. Worse still is when the stakeholders just assume things work a certain way for a new feature (because an existing, similar feature works that way) so nobody even tells the Product Manager or the Development team. Canā€™t really test a case that we donā€™t know is supposed to existā€¦

I tend to dread testing certain backend features or infrastructure related changes cause I donā€™t feel confident I know what Iā€™m looking for, sometimes not helped with lack of (if any) QA steps. I end up kinda fumbling around in the dark, asking the dev or our QA Team Lead for help. It makes the process slower but I also feel less certain when passing it for QA.

The one thing I dread in testing is having to constantly explain myself and the testing in general.
Being generally a shy person I have trouble with talking openly, loud and fast and being convincing.

• I have to pull peopleā€™s attention on what I am doing because people start ignoring me for days/weeks,
  • why Iā€™m doing what Iā€™m doing,
  • why I think it is good,
  • why the other thing doesnā€™t work,
  • why I think X is a better use of my time than Y,
  • why we donā€™t need to do X because it will be useless,
  • why I donā€™t want to do Z or donā€™t have the time to,
  • why someone else that doesnā€™t work in the team developing the product canā€™t manage testing of that product,
  • why I am doing more than just testing,
  • why testing is the thing that finds bugs and not the automated checks,
  • how many bugs we have and why, and where they came from and how to fix the source of bugs,
  • why context is very important,
  • and plenty moreā€¦
3 Likes