What is Your Goal For September?

Sounds ace. I do similar. Mute slack, only open tabs I need, hide phone, chill playlist, focus on one task. I’m still working on it, but it’s getting easier. Practice makes practically perfect.

1 Like

My goal is to complete my first read through of the ISTQB Agile Foundations textbook.

2 Likes

That was awful for me. Lots of confusion and non-relevant, weak or conflicting statements.
I skimmed for 30 minutes the book. Then did the exam for fun. Passed with about 80%. More than 50% of the exam questions had either wrong questions or partially correct answers.

Since that point(~3 years ago) I decided not to touch anything ISTQB related even for checking out stuff they do.
For the same amount of money for paying just the exam for ISTQB you can do a BBST or a RST Explored online class.
I’m going, as some of the other peers in Context Driven Testing, with the fact that ISTQB is a scam…

My goal for September - try not to check the ministryoftesting club a few times per day, but once every 2 weeks as a first step.
It’s eating too much of my free time…

1 Like

Professional:

• Know what I’m doing with Node.js
  • Complete Architecting on AWS training
  • Start a blog
  • Help run my first Meet-up
  • Tech talk on shift left & shift right

Personal:

• Lose some more weight
  • Fit in more exercise
  • Sew something
  • Make some jewellery
1 Like

Do you have any thoughts on the topic of your first blog?

3 Likes

Pomodoro is a good one. Also, try to alternate focused thinking work
and free thinking work.

1 Like

“What does Quality mean to you?”

1 Like

@oconis I wanted to use it to reinforce what I’m learning. I’ve got some ideas but they were kinda scrapily written down without too much thought. Some were:

• Picking a blog
  • Public speaking
  • Personal Development
  • Agile
  • Autonomy
  • Community
  • Dev series
  • Learning at pace
  • Hobby impact on creativity
1 Like

September already!!!
Professional - Write more automated tests using Cypress
Professional- Contribute towards the automation effort
Personal- be more active in communities such as MOT
Personal- I keep telling myself to start a blog to hold myself accountable with my career journey.

3 Likes

There’s a great thread here AMA: How To Start Blogging AMA with Louise Gibbs, Bruce, Chris Armstrong & Lee Marshall @dtorquiano to possibly help with your second personal goal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Works wonders for insomnia !

3 Likes

Wonderful! Thank you!

It certainly does! :smiley:

Professional: Use my Pro MOT more - get involved with the chat and use the resources.
Personal: Sort my house/garden out now the kids are back at school.

3 Likes

Professional: Completing the workshops I’ll offer at the Agile Testing Days
Personal:

1. Continuing going to the gym ≥3 times a week
  2. Continuing to go swimming in the North Sea (this one may turn out to be a bit… tough :thermometer: :chart_with_downwards_trend:
2 Likes

Professional: Post on the club :wink:
Professional: Revise for last exam of the year
Professional: Explore things more and fire up the old brain again
Personal: Read for at least 30 mins in the evening, I know this helps me sleep better

2 Likes

Update: I abandoned the first goal and rewrote everything. I have wrote enough that it covers more than the old not-working suite. So I’m calling that a win.

I’m tester-by-default for most of the functionality we are working on. So that is also a win.

And we are fully moved in, so that is a win.

I have to set some more ambitious goals. I still have a week left.

1 Like

Do people use any tools to help track or monitor the progress of goals?

I go with either a Trello board or a postit on the wall beside me, depending on if there are subtasks I know of or if I want it actioned soon.

I’m very basic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

All my post its fall to the floor :rofl::joy::maple_leaf: