Where should I start with test automation?

I’m completely new on Automation Testing , I have just recently joined a new company , where automation is completely new too, so I’m so confused and afraid , what to start first , how , how , and how ?
even i don’t know what to ask now from here

3 Likes

Thank you very much for replying , appreciate it , so I’m testing API, using rest assured , programming language is JAVA , and BDD approach , so the biggest problem is for me , I’m the only automation , and there is no requirements at all

3 Likes

Hi @omonaza,

welcome in the club ! I would say start with understanding the test automation strategy or build one then go for further steps related to technical implementation.

I hope the answers to this question could help you

5 Likes

Welcome to MoT!

Here’s some interesting material for getting into automation:

Is there anyone on your project that can help you with it?

4 Likes

Thank you very mush fore your kindness and response , appreciate it , and thank you for sharing this valuable information with me.

1 Like

Thank you for replying , appreciate it , I would say that , there is no one to help me with the requirements, as automation is completely new for this company , so They have asked me to do my best , research it , do whatever you want to , but get me automation done , which is why , I’ve been looking for an information , and ended up here , but I have the general understanding of STLS and SDLS , so I’m hoping for your professional guidelines , advise , in terms of what should be done at first , and the main things to keep in mind , and to be considered, company supposedly follow Kunban methodology, but they don’t take it seriously, I know it might sound completely not worthy place to work , but as i love taking new challenges,I want to build in this company the best automation with all its requirements and rules

3 Likes

Trust me, I’ve seen a lot of places like this. I totally understand where you are coming from :stuck_out_tongue:
You need to give them some time to adapt, the hardest part about setting up automated tests is Change Management and getting the people to use it and adapt to it. In the end, they’ll love it.

What I would advise is to make it super visible, give presentations about what you did and how many bugs it detected etc, which is a big eye opener for many ‘unbelievers’ :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Take it gradually, first analyse the product, have some exploratory sessions and talk to the domain experts - this will give you an idea what to automate first - to get a mental image which feature you should prioritize.

Depending on what kind of product you got and the technology stack, try checking with the developer for some technical assistance with the automation, at least at first. Take a few introductory courses to get familiarized with different automation tools, types and approaches - the test automation university is a good place for that:

I’d recommend you get acquainted with Selenium, Cypress and API automation. I don’t know how much you know about programming, but test automation is basically software development (you’re writing code which will test some other code) - unless you’re using some commercial scripting tool. With that in mind, get to know general programming principles start making a small test framework as a proof of concept, true trial and error you will eventually get it right, but usually not on your first try (or first few tries). As you iterate and gradually improve your automation solution, you will start noticing areas which can be improved in your framework - this is where design patterns come in and can be a great practical learning opportunity.

To summarize, talk to your team, try to plan your automation, without rushing things - test automation in a long term investment, but it becomes very valuable after a certain point. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Absolutely great point, @kristof ! Something new can feel utterly scary and part exciting all at the same time.

@omonaza , is the following book on your radar? Esther Derby shares a super methodical approach to introducing change. I have a hunch it’ll help on your journey introducing test automation.

3 Likes

Thank you very much @mirza for your such a valuable advise , and suggestions , and of course most importantly for your time , which is priceless for everybody !

1 Like

@simon_tomes thanks for sharing it with me , I’ll certainly put this book on my ToDo list!!!

2 Likes