Switching From Manual Testing to Automation testing in my new workplace

Get the most out of asking a question.

• Is the topic title a question? No
  • Does the topic title include a “question mark”? No
  • What are you asking of the community?

Hey yall, so i been working at this startup in India for last 4-5 months, its just me and my lead here, so our management had a word with us and stated to start automation testing in our website,

so our frontend is : Angular + react + vue.js
Backend is: java+python+go lang
Database: mongodb, sql and MySQL
Devops: Azure, we have around 4 websites i think , our appstore, partnerstore,back office and our platform, not exactly sure which all use which all languages, has a vague idea,

They are kind of migrating everything to Go, in our Backend as well.

So we first decided we will go with Robot framework with python as it’s relatively easy to use and play with

We have written some 4-5 test cases for now and intergrated it into azure ci/cd pipeline so that it runs as a job every day at 20:00 , we are confused on what to do next or how to proceed? As it’s relatively a small startup , should we proceed with robot framework itself, I have written around 7 regression tests , which we are planning to incorporate to the CI/CD pipeline, so that everytime a new build happens it runs

• How can they help you? Confused about how to go ahead with as me and my lead are relatively noobies in automation testing
  • What context can you share to increase the likelihood of someone replying to your question? I don’t know whether this is the right place to ask questions
3 Likes

I guess this question was too broad

1 Like

Instead of going forward, I’d go a step back.
Evaluate if you need it, when you need it - now or later, where it fits in the process, which type of automation, what resources are needed and for what goal, if there’s training needed to be quick, what will suffer if automation is done, what will be gained.
Others:
What is the current testing strategy?
Is there a reasonable confidence in the assessment of the product?
Could there be more resources needed to test appropriately? or a different process? as you get the product a few days before release?
Is there automation in the product elsewhere? unit, integration? API? What are developers automating already?
Which type and scope of automation is appropriate and what will it help with?
For automation, how many resources do you have in the testing role? how about helpers(devs)?
What would you have to give up to automate?

1 Like

Just like @ipstefan mention above. I think you need to think through some basic test strategy for the whole project or at least discuss these topics thoroughly during your ceremonies (refinement, planning, whatever…).
Possibly, try to also observe what’s going on with the test suite itself - how stable it is, how to maintain it, who maintains it.
It looks like you jumped into the conclusion of having full end to end tests (I suspect this is what these tests do) instead of actually checking what you’ve been currently doing and how well or badly you’ve been doing it.

As you move forward with the setup at your startup, think about not just testing, but also how your team collaborates and manages changes. For example, setting up a clear process for how changes are reviewed and merged can really help to run things smoothly with your CI/CD pipeline and automate some of these processes.

Consider how you manage your workload. Maybe break tasks into smaller, manageable parts, change your QA processes, and set regular meetings to discuss progress and any problems. In your situation, it’s important to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Your focus is on testing and tech, don’t forget about the bigger picture like user feedback and dev process, team resources management, communications with stakeholders, etc.

It looks like you are explaining your situation but i still dont get what help do you need?

Can you be specific please?

• I read it as a question regarding the right automation plan to approach in their context.
    “Confused about how to go ahead with as me and my lead are relatively noobies in automation testing”
    More granular:
  • What to automate(‘We have written some 4-5 test cases for now, on what to do next or how to proceed?’)
  • What to automate with: ’ should we proceed with robot framework’
  • when, how, which scope, what layer: ‘our management had a word with us and stated to start automation testing in our website’