Advice needed: Manual tester's journey to automation - seeking mentorship

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m looking for mentorship or advice as I navigate the transition from manual to automation testing. Hereā€™s my situation:

• 4-5 years of manual QA experience
  • Currently refreshing my Python skills (learned before but didnā€™t apply)
  • Open to both manual and automation roles
  • Struggling to get interviews, even for manual positions

My challenges:

1. Overwhelmed by various automation learning paths
  2. Unsure where to focus my learning efforts
  3. Not getting responses to job applications
  4. Unsure if the problem is my resume or something else

What I need help with:

1. Guidance on transitioning to automation
  2. Advice on improving my resume/application strategy
  3. Insights on current QA job market
  4. Recommendations on which skills/tools to prioritize

Iā€™m eager to learn and grow. Any advice, feedback, or mentorship offers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Kd

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this question.

There is not straightforward answer to some parts of this question.

I made a video response for this question:

Also, this is a reference, that I have used in my video: Learning Automation Skills as a Tester - Rahulā€™s Testing Titbits

4 Likes

Just like you, but I havenā€™t had the chance to learn any programming language yet. After refreshing/enhancing my manual testing skills, Iā€™m starting a workshop in JAVA (for testers) as a prelude to learning test automation. Iā€™ll keep you updated on the tools my instructors recommend.
Best of luck with your learning journey ! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll do great .

5 Likes

Are you open to learning new programming languages? Iā€™ll address this more in Question 4 you had.

I can advise you now " do playwright " or ā€œdo Brunoā€ but that is not going to help you because I donā€™t know where you live nor do I know what companies demand in your area. Soā€¦ Iā€™m going to help you this way:

• Look up 10-20 vacancies for test automation in the area you wish to work.
  • Analyze those vacancies, check for technologies and tools used like playwright, cypress, Postman, RobotFramework; JavaScript, Java, Python etc etc

Then list them up, see which one are more frequent and then analyze which is easiest to learn or one that you are passionate about to learn. Learn it and then apply.

Itā€™s not worth me saying " learn cypress with JavaScript" right now since in your area Selenium + Java might be ā€œthe hypeā€. I hope you understand this? :slight_smile:

The answer above kind of applies here also, your job market is waaaay different then mine. You have to look through your job market and analyze it yourself. Since here in Belgium Cypress & Playwright are hyped for new and innovative companies, and for old legacy companies itā€™s still Selenium + Java.

I hope it already helps a little bit, not that I really gave you a focus point but "check your own market :rofl: "

BUT once you established whatā€™s hot and whatā€™s not in your market, you can come back saying " I need to learn X or Y" whatā€™s the best approach for this and then we can mentor you on it. Happy to spar and mentor afterwards <3

5 Likes

Just looking at the two jobs in the ministryoftesting club, might put off any new beginnerā€¦
ā€˜A hands-on technical leader with strong skills in programming and a broad background in technologyā€™
ā€˜Minimum of 4 years demonstrated experience in one or more of the following: Selenium Grid/WebDriver. - Cucumber/Gherkin - jUnit, TestNG - maven/Gradle - Python/Pytestā€™
Getting to that level takes the same amount of time as going again through the university or other professional studiesā€¦and one can consider changing the domain completely even.

2 Likes

Thanks for the adviceā€”I really appreciate it! I wanted to mention that Iā€™m located on the East Coast of the United States. And yes I am open to learning other Programming languages, actually in the past I learned Java but again I did not go any further with it as at the time I was just learning it just for fun because I enjoy coding. But I really enjoy Python so I think I would like to continue with that path. Following your guidance, I compiled a list based on 15 job descriptions I reviewed, and hereā€™s what I found:

• Python ā€“ 6 mentions
  • Java ā€“ 5 mentions
  • JavaScript ā€“ 4 mentions
  • Selenium WebDriver ā€“ 4 mentions
  • CI/CD Tools:
    • Jenkins ā€“ 3 mentions
    • GitLab CI ā€“ 2 mentions
    • GitHub Actions ā€“ 1 mention
  • Appium ā€“ 3 mentions
  • Postman ā€“ 3 mentions
  • SQL ā€“ 3 mentions
  • Cypress ā€“ 2 mentions
  • Playwright ā€“ 2 mentions
  • BDD Frameworks:
    • Cucumber ā€“ 2 mentions
  • Mobile Testing Tools:
    • XCUI ā€“ 1 mention
    • Espresso ā€“ 1 mention
  • Version Control:
    • Git ā€“ 2 mentions
  • JIRA ā€“ 2 mentions
  • Confluence ā€“ 1 mention
  • QuickSight ā€“ 1 mention
  • MixPanel ā€“ 1 mention
  • Segment ā€“ 1 mention
  • Security Standards ā€“ 1 mention

Please let me know if you need any more details!

2 Likes

Thanks for the Advice I will check out those resources you mentioned.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It sounds like you have a great plan in place with your workshop in Javaā€”best of luck with that! Iā€™d love to hear about the tools and techniques your instructors recommend as you progress.

Iā€™ll definitely keep you updated on my journey as well. If you come across any interesting insights or resources, feel free to share!

3 Likes

Have you filtered it by the jobs where they would hire juniors in automation?
It looks like a big, spread list of tools.
Iā€™d check as well within each if thereā€™s a specific expertise required. For example, some look for Java unit test coders, others to build tools for developers, others to code UI-level checks, others to do data-related scripting, and others API-level checks/scripts(e.g. Postman+JS)ā€¦
This should help in reducing the complexity and increase the focus.

1 Like

Knowing where you are now may help others advise better, you do not need to reply here but consider the following for yourself before you go all in this journey. There is a lot of material out there on this specific journey, there are other journeys though so by considering where you are now may help confirm its the right journey for you.

Can you describe where your skills are now?

What did manual testing looked like for you in your day to day experience?

What technical skills have you been utilising in your day to day testing to date?

What sort of tools have you been using to assist with your testing?

What would you say are you key strengths as a tester?

Why have you decided this is the correct journey for you personally?

Is the primary goal to gain employment for example?

Often testers will undersell their current experience when faced with an interview that focuses on coding skills.

In some other cases their testing may have been very tied to a model that can sometimes be described as manual automated testing.

1 Like

Hey, no I just went to search for automation roles in general in my initial search, but I will go look for employers that would hire junior automation testers, honestly I usually see job descriptions looking for multiple years of experience automation testing. Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

And would anyone be open to viewing my resume and give me any advice on it?

These days that every vacancy, in security itā€™s the same ā€œEntry Levelā€ with 5 years of experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure but DM it in private, not in this chat :smiley:

I see that youā€™ve done your research and Python is coming up mostly.
Then if you like that, go for Python :stuck_out_tongue: Learn it with Selenium, make a project yourself put it online that you can add to your resume, so people have a repo to view, so they can see your skills.

How exactly do I DM on this platform? sorry still trying to find my way around on here. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No worries, just click on my name and press message :smiley:

Strange, when I click on your name i donā€™t get the same message and chat green buttons.

1 Like

@simon_tomes do you know why he cannot see the message button?

@kdz Iā€™ve send you a message :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s likely to do with someone joining The Club and not getting instant access to messaging folks.

Thanks for messaging Kd instead.

1 Like