Where to start with a project that's had 0 testability planning?

A member of our community recently found themselves in a predicament

I just get into project with absolutely 0 testability in mind from the beginning. Application is running but there are literally 0 tests whatsoever. I want to start with some Test Policy/Test Strategy docs just to grab things together se we can have same point of view with business and devs. This isn’t large project so I don’t want to make big elaborate. Max 2 pages for each probably - it can evolve with time.

Someone suggested that Riskstorming could be a good place to start.

Where would you start in this project?

1 Like

In no particular order…

1. Get the team to map out the key steps it took to get the application deployed.
    This will inform you of where you can add different types of testing, e.g. functional, integration, performance.

2. Set a policy of “we build it, we own it” - and drive testing discussions around that.
    This allows you to set expectations of the team and the quality of the application.
    And talk about “the team” don’t talk about “developers” or “testers”

3. Don’t write a Test Strategy - you’re not ready.
    Write an Approach to testing and keep it to 2 maybe 3 pages.
    Get the team to review it and ask for feedback

4. You mention the business - find out if they would like a “voice on the team”
    You can then leverage this to get them to write your acceptance tests.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Check this out: https://www.satisfice.com/download/heuristics-of-software-testability

I just get into project with absolutely 0 testability in mind from the beginning.

What does this mean?

Application is running but there are literally 0 tests whatsoever.

A test is not an artifact it’s a performance. Do you mean that none evaluated the application before for the purpose of finding threats to the quality of the product?

I want to start with some Test Policy/Test Strategy docs just to grab things together se we can have same point of view with business and devs.

The focus shouldn’t be trying to write a document…but to start learning! Of course, you can take some notes …I do. I have hundreds of files with notes and learnings that I can’t keep in my head but I know where to find them and remind myself of stuff.

This isn’t large project so I don’t want to make big elaborate. Max 2 pages for each probably - it can evolve with time.

How do you think that writing a document would help you with testing?

1 Like