Which tool do you use for load testing?

I have been reading a lot and trying different tools for load testing including k6 and Gatling . Which tool do you use for your load testing effort ?

1 Like

Iโ€™m currently using K6 (only had to read the dev docs they provide) for the api endpoints I care about. But have used Jmeter (had to read a lot of tutorials to get this going) and NeoLoad in the past.

3 Likes

+1 for k6. Itโ€™s relatively early days using k6, but Iโ€™ve found it fairly straightforward. I do find the k6 docs can be a bit hit-and-miss, just in some of the examples they give. More of a fan of k6 than Jmeter if Iโ€™m honest.

5 Likes

Hi @sivaganesh.sivakumar! I have used JMeter and Taurus in the past, but recently, itโ€™s also k6 for me. If you have any questions, feel free to check the k6 docs or drop me a message so I can point you to specific resources that might be useful. :blush:

2 Likes

Iโ€™m using jMeter. It seems a bit daunting at first (compared to other tools), but once you got into it, itโ€™s really good. The advantage is, that is has an amazing online community. The chances are good if you need any help on a task.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for amazing responses. K6 and Jmeter seems to be crowd favorites so far. I understand we can use these tools well for API level load tests. How about UI level tests ? I am currently exploring load runner which has a good record and playback feature to do UI level load tests.

• 1 for K6 as well.
    Also thanks to @marie.drake who has been very helpfully with my initial questions.
    They also have a youtube channel where they discuss various topics that I have found usefull.
2 Likes

Currently been using locust for API testing as it is a free tool which does roughly what we need it to. But in the past have used Flood.io with a mixture of Gatling for API testing and flood elements for UI testing.

1 Like

JMeter is the most common open-source tool for measuring load time. Apache JMeter describes itself as a Java application built especially for load testing, with the ability to measure application performance and response times.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve been a huge fan of Artillery for a while now. Itโ€™s dead-simple to get started, very extensible, lets you easily run load tests straight from AWS, and even has integration with Playwright to run load tests through the browser. Canโ€™t say enough good things about it, especially if you have a solid grasp of JavaScript.

1 Like

Thanks @dennmart Artillery looks very promising. I will give it a try !

Hi @sivaganesh.sivakumar, k6 can also perform browser-level tests via k6 browser, which is an experimental module at the moment, that also collects frontend performance metrics as part of your tests. It provides rough compatibility with Playwright. Check out our docs for more information Browser Module Documentation

1 Like

Since I am associated with a quality assurance company, we have to ensure familiarity with all the available and popular tools. We presently use Apache JMeter, Gatling, LoadRunner, and BlazeMeter.

However, each tool has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice of tool depends on the specific requirements of the load testing scenario. I personally always recommend evaluating each tool carefully before selecting the one that best suits your needs.

Hereโ€™s a short blog that my team has crafted to underline load testing implementation within an agile environment. I hope it will help you with tool selection and the overall process.

Hello,

There are many load testing tools available that can be used to simulate various levels of user traffic and load on web applications, APIs, and other types of software systems. Some popular performance load testing tools include Apache JMeter, Gatling, Locust, and LoadRunner.

The choice of tool depends on various factors such as the type of application being tested, the expected load and traffic, the level of customization required, and the budget available for the tool.