Would there be any situations where you won't need to use black box testing/white box testing?

(thomas) #1

We know when we perform testing we have two common approaches black box testing and white box testing, I want know would there be any context where you would only perform black box or white box testing? In my opinion I cant think of any as both approaches serve different purposes and looks at different parts of the particular product under test.

Thanks

(Jesper) #2

In many situations and projects it’s no longer important what is black or white box testing. The important part is that things get’s tested, not so much by whom or how (with what technique).

When implementing standard systems like SAP, or rolling out a new desktop OS - you can only do “black box” testing. If all you are developing is an API or server-less function your focus should be on all the internal “white” details.

(Chris) #3

White/black box testing is a framing device used to identify levels of granularity when examining abstractions.

So I could say that black box testing is going through the UI and white box testing involves examining a function. I could say that black box testing is examining a function’s input/output and white box testing involves probing the inner code. I could say that black box testing is a function’s inner code and white box testing is the code it compiles to. And so on until we hit the fundamental particles described in known Physics.

So… maybe?

(Brian) #4

How would you test if there is no box? (i.e. the product has not been made yet, but you have a specification… or a design document… or people who are making the product)
What color is the box if you have a design document and not the code?

(Robert) #5

Been there, done that. I think that’s Schrödinger’s Box testing…

(Brian) #6

I suppose that’s better than Pandora’s box testing.