30 Days of Ecommerce Testing Day 14: #ecommerce on twitter

“Check out #ecommerce on Twitter and see if you can generate some test ideas from this feed.”

Or click… HERE!

of course this is a lot of self-promotion and advertising and not a lot of substance. But what I found interesting were some new ideas being pushed that will likely call for new kinds of testing:

New Instagram update to make purchasing easier: https://twitter.com/indaHash/status/996010225705594880 I am actually not that familiar with instagram, but I am going to keep an eye on this one.

New trends in eCommerce to include increased video use and facial recognition, VR and augmented reality, and multiple shopping channels - i.e. using social networks for purchases. I will definitely get in line to test some of this!

A really new trend: Brick and mortar stores??? From Shopify, which plans to pen a brick and mortar store for Shopify customers (business owners).

Think we can’t test a brick and mortar stores?

SOMETHING is going to need testing. There’s going to be some kind of software needed to make this work. What will they be looking at in the stores, exactly? How does it tie together with the main product? I’d expect at least several in-store programs needing testing and probably some new mobile apps as well.

-Dave K

1 Like

As for this challenge… it is a bit tough because there are a lot of feeds from the #ecommerce tag.
However, this are the most important one that I think it should be take into account:

• Cryptocurrency : Nowadays we know that the cryptocurrency is taking a place into our markets and in particular, in our life. The cryptocurrency will be integrated in following years and the proof of that is that a few markets started to accepting it as a new currency. Even the banks are starting to invest in it (I read an article the other day). So this will mean that a new kind of test will be necessary and in particular, in my opinion, it will have an important role the security testing as the platforms that are currently supporting the cryptocurrencies are no so stable (most of them).
  • Automation : We all know that the technology industry is growing really fast and one of the objectives is the automation. In particular, the automation of some manual jobs as for example, the waitress, the receptionist on a hotel, the employer of a fast food chain and so on. In particular we all aware that for example the cashier is one of the examples of a job that will disappear in the following years (it might sound apocalyptic but I think it depends on the person… we could discuss it but not here :slight_smile: ). As you all notice, in some supermarkets you can find out the automatic checkout of your goods (Amazon is taking a step ahead and is thinking on a automatic checkout that is not necessary to wait a cue :stuck_out_tongue: ). In this context, it might be needed a new testing as here, a minimal error will suppose big looses to the companies.
  • Artificial Intelligence : We are all aware that the Artificial Intelligence is surrounding us, from the mobile that alerts you the traffic of your zone to Facebook who is suggesting you a new friend that you met only once! :stuck_out_tongue: However, One of the special features that I’ve seen recently is the figure of an assistant (like Cortana, Google Assistance and Siri) that tracks your necessities and your day life and it suggest you to do some actions like do sports or buy something because it has detected previously that is missing Rice in your shelf. Of course here a software tester will be necessary as to prevent innecesary tasks or wrong information.

There are a lot of topics that I’ve seen in the #e-commerce tag. Maybe if someone wants to discuss it, feel free to contact me either via slack or here :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the twitterverse, I found:

@divya

@ceedubsnz

Late here as well - but this time it has the benefit of getting into the GDPR (EU - General Data Protection Regulation) conversation, which is both timely (it’s enforceable since yesterday) and important, as well as - let’s be frank - not nearly over, even though all the companies should be prepared for it.

There’s a lot of more or less funny content, probably since It’s much too broad of a topic to tackle easily.
I’ve fought that and focused only on the process of software testing, after 25th of May, 2018, inside EU and its regulations.
Form what I understood, it boils down to two points: handling data outside productions and gaining access to data

1. all user data should be turned into a model (optimally type, size, field length range, handling of special chars., etc.) so it can be effectively mocked. Alternatively (or even concurrently), you can use data masking (only for the sensitive data) - using elements from prod. DB to create a set of fake user data.
  2. environments (also non-prod.) must be secure as well: harsher access rights, the rule of minimum necessary access

Interesting, assuming that point 2 stresses, i.a. securing test environments where we don’t have any real data (assuming point 1 is resolved)! More seriously though, it may be time to force my clients to stop using weak passwords, and make sure they understand why they shouldn’t repeat their test password on prod : |

sources: https://bit.ly/2J4gZQr https://bit.ly/2GPhAVL https://bit.ly/2GR35M4

(Although this: https://twitter.com/vgaltes/status/1000326684011360256 made my day somewhat)

1 Like
1 Like