AI applications in testing

Until my recent employment, Iā€™d usually avoid image recognition in my automated tests, but there was no getting around it this time. Iā€™d go as far as to call it Heresy, but I was genuinely interested in learning more about it.

I work for a company that produces eLearning authoring software for clients, all of which produce web-based courses with different layouts. On occasion, one of our releases may somehow break the course layouts which could have serious accessibility implications for learners, plus a lot of pressure for clients to resolve it.

To this end, the challenge was set: how do we automatically ensure that course layouts remain unchanged between deployments?

Standard WebDriver testing will get us so far functionally, but I wanted to see if it was possible to automatically copmarebefore and after images by using Selenium to navigate through a course and take screenshots at key points, do a deployment, then rerun the same test after and compare screenshots.

TL;DR we got image comparison working!

Iā€™m keen to hear of other examples of AI techniques in automated testing

2 Likes

It is possible to make a script in small increnents using an AI tool to compare the images before and after the changes. Here is a proof of concept.