Ask Me Anything: CI/CD and Delivery Pipelines

Unfortunately my own internet connection was not the strongest tonight so I wasn’t able to be as much of a link ninja :disappointed:

A relevant Club post to the discussions had tonight

Abby also referenced Gatling, you can find more about that here

0 bug tolerance

The state of DevOps

And the unanswered questions:

1. Which comes first in CI/CD, tooling or techniques?
  2. Any tips on building automation/DevOps communities of practice in software houses with more traditional approaches to software delivery? (waterfall, on premise, etc.)
  3. Does CD also mean Continuous release… ? for me I’ve experienced CD meaning pump out new code to prod but turned off/behind split.io etc.
  4. What are the key indicators that you look at to check if a company’s infrastructure is ready or not for CI/CD?
  5. What’s your CI/CD pipeline, testing workflow; how the context of project/product shapes it?
  6. What will be the very first step for the team to start building a proper CD process? What is the tester’s role in this process?
  7. Can you see/suggest any benefits to investing in CI/CD on projects which start and stop. We tend to deliver a change/feature then don’t have a project until the customer wants another change/feature.
  8. How do you cope with such a huge amount of ATs that it needs -say- an hour or more to run on Jenkins? (Excluding deployment time)
  9. Could you talk about the role of feature flags in the branching process along with CI/CD?
  10. How important are notifications from a pipeline? How much should it notify and to whom? Also, can a pipeline be integrated with any ChatOps workflows?
  11. What are some monitoring tools you would recommend?
  12. Any hint on how third-party services can be mocked/replaced at best in a CI pipeline?
  13. As you were saying your pipeline used to take up to 24 hours to run, where do you stand on only having tests in there that have been written to cover defects only? Or is that too far the other way?
  14. How do you handle maintenance of mocks when you may use different technologies for different types of tests, e.g. unit, API, Consumer driven contract, UI and a mock of the service.
  15. Going forward… do you feel testing itself needs to adapt dramatically wrt testing before release vs testing in prod/practicing recovery?