Automated testing for Windows desktop

Recent enhancements to Appium and WinAppDriver enable Windows desktop application testing using image locators (like Sikuli) as well as WebDriver-style locators.

I created a quick example on Github (which I will continue to expand) to demonstrate how to use findElementByImage with WinAppDriver. Please try it out; I welcome suggestions and feedback.

1 Like

Nowadays Automated testing for Windows desktop is as important as mobile and web app testing and also it is performed possibly in every QA service, salesforce testing company.

Windows desktop App testing is a type of testing that examines the functionality, security, usability, and stability of the application after it gets deployed.

It is unique from the web app testing because it runs on a single workstation and the web applications are designed to be distributed and can be accessed by a URL.

Desktop applications are designed for a single user who is signed into the account at that time and it requires numbers of hardware, browser devices, and combinations to run.

Desktop Automation and web automation both are similar and start with what to automate and focus on the areas with the highest priority. It is different from mobile testing.

To ensure the success of desktop Automation there are multiple tools and approaches which are necessary. There are plenty of Desktop app Automation testing tools available in the market. Out of which some of them are free and some of them are paid.

Below are some free automation testing tools for Desktop Applications:
Winium
White framework
SikuliX
AutoIt
WinAppDriver
Jubula
ZAPTEST
AirTest